What do the spacers do?

My local dealer ordered new Race Tech front(46kg) and rear (5.2kg) springs for my 2003 yz250f. I'm 6'1" 208lb and according to the spring rate charts these are the right springs for my size and weight. I installed them myself but have a question about the spacers that came with the front fork springs. The install instructions are a little confusing. What is the purpose of the spacers ? Are they neded ? And will it hurt anything if I leave them out? The new springs were the same length as the stock and the stock springs didn't have any spacers under them. I emailed Race Tech but haven't got a response yet. Any feedback would be appreciated.

They are pre-load shims and are often included when you purchase fork springs. They install before the spring is lowered into the fork.

When you assemble the fork, without the shims, the fork spring will have about a 10mm pre-load applied. This would only allow for about another 6mm of pre-load. I think the spec is no more than two shims, but that spec refers to the thinner Yamaha shims. So at best, you might be able to use one per fork. I can't remember the numbers exactly, so check with Race Tech and/or see the tuning section of the manual.

In either case, it's a fine tune adjustment and I would start by leaving them out. If you need a little height in the corners, add oil. If you need a little more height or stability in the straights, add a shim or two.

And sometimes more pre-load may require a little more damping.

Hope this helps.

DaveJ

• 2 weeks later...

That helps. The tuner who did my suspension gave me two. I rode without them for a couple of seasons. I added one and thought it wouldn't hurt to get a little more stability. The second one really helped. It didn't seem to affect the forks' ability to negotiate rock at a lower speed. I thought it improved it a bunch. Spacers offer a lot of tuning for a small change.