Numb Hands

Hands go numb for first 3/4 of enduro.After first 1/4 mile they go numb,when I reach reset I can shake it off but once I get back started they go numb again.Towards end of race they get better but not 100%.They also fall asleep at night while sleeping.Need fix NOW!

My hands get really numb also. A lot of times I am not tired and the terrain is not that bad but I have to slow down and shake them out. A lot of times I could go faster but my numb hands wont let me. I think I'm having carpal tunnel issues...My hands wake me up at night after a race sometimes for a few nights.

Sometimes loosening up my grip just a little helps. Im always holding on way too tight without even thinking about it. You really dont need a death grip on the bars most of the time.

Make sure your levers are adjusted where you can keep your wrists straight to operate them , second , concentrate on keeping your wrists straight while riding.

The numb at night part is probably actually your elbow. I can't remember the medical term, but there is a nerve that runs exposed on your elbow. Its very common, i havn't had full feeling in my hands for years. I need to get cut open and have it fixed soon.

I recently went to physical therapy for this.

I actually sold my Katana 600 because my hands went numb at the base of the thumbs (the thick meaty part of my palm). without good thumbs, I felt I couldn't hold on to the bike.

Dr said I just need more hand strengthening exersise!

felt "better" after only 2 weeks, but didn't really keep up with it.

( no, I don't miss the kan-a-tuna)

Ryan ... what bike are you riding? 2 stroke? I had a KX125 with bad rod bearings... the buzz made everything from wrists down hurt for days !

Numbness in the thick meaty part of the hand at the base of the thumb is usually caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. It's caused by compression of the median nerve where it enters the hand at the wrist. If the numbness/tingling is on the little finger side of the hand, it can be from compression of the ulnar nerve (the funny bone nerve). It can be compressed at several different sites, but if it is only in the hand, it is unlikely that it is from compression around the elbow. It also enters the hand through a tunnel, and can be compressed there, too. If there is a nerve compression at the elbow, you tend to have pain and weakness from that point down to the hand, not just in the hand.

If you have symptoms that persist after stopping the offending activity, you should have it checked out. Permanent nerve damage is just that: permanent. The median nerve controls most of the thumb muscles in the hand, and without your thumbs, you're less than ape.......I'm just sayin'........

RE: numbness at night/in the morning

Space in the carpal tunnel is decreased with wrist flexion, and the decreased space is what exacerbates the compression on the median nerve. When we sleep we tend to flex our wrists like we are in the fetal position. That's why you wake up with numbness and tingling in the morning, you've given yourself a mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome that resolves with reposition of the hand.

Edited by ajfreeze
added text
Numbness in the thick meaty part of the hand at the base of the thumb is usually caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. It's caused by compression of the median nerve where it enters the hand at the wrist. If the numbness/tingling is on the little finger side of the hand, it can be from compression of the ulnar nerve (the funny bone nerve). It can be compressed at several different sites, but if it is only in the hand, it is unlikely that it is from compression around the elbow. It also enters the hand through a tunnel, and can be compressed there, too. If there is a nerve compression at the elbow, you tend to have pain and weakness from that point down to the hand, not just in the hand.

If you have symptoms that persist after stopping the offending activity, you should have it checked out. Permanent nerve damage is just that: permanent. The median nerve controls most of the thumb muscles in the hand, and without your thumbs, you're less than ape.......I'm just sayin'........

RE: numbness at night/in the morning

Space in the carpal tunnel is decreased with wrist flexion, and the decreased space is what exacerbates the compression on the median nerve. When we sleep we tend to flex our wrists like we are in the fetal position. That's why you wake up with numbness and tingling in the morning, you've given yourself a mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome that resolves with reposition of the hand.

What can we do to keep riding without getting surgery ? Right now I'm wearing wrist braces at night and doing wrist streches 2-3 times a day. Any other suggestions. I don't want to cause permanent damage but am not sure about getting the surgery.

Thanks

Paul

everyone { except a Doctor } told me " I had CTS and would need surgery. "

...... I forsee a trip to your favorite Dr. in the near future..... :-)

Not everyone that has these symptoms needs surgery.....That being said, conservative treatment in someone that truly has carpal tunnel syndrome usually results in a recurrence. If you really want to know what's going on, you need to see a doctor, and if he thinks it's warranted, he'll send you for an EMG and NCS. Those are nerve and muscle tests that determine if and where u have a nerve problem or muscle problem. Most people that have those tests sat they would never have it again--they stick you with needles and shock you.

So if this is something that is starting to interfere with your job or doing your daily activities, then by all means get it evaluated. Otherwise what you are doing with the night splints, stretching, NSAIDs, is good. An injecting into the carpal tunnel may provide some relief as well, but recurrence is a concern.

Also might consider something for the core and back strengthening. This will improve your posture on the bike and decrease your reliance on your grip. Can't guarantee this will help, but it can't hurt and it's free and non-invasive. If there are a bunch typos, forgive me....doin this on my phone----AJ

Did the shocking needels test. Had the surgury, now can I can ride and sleep with out numb hands.

I race ktm 400.My hands also go to sleep on my cruiser in the morning on the way to work,but after working all day the trip home is fine.May have to suck it up and go see doc.

Ive been having the same symptoms My hands fall asleep at night usually waking me up at the 2 or 3 am so i can shake it out

then on my roadrace bike or my 450 i can go 2 or 3 laps then i cant feal my fingers i know i dont have good core strenth but im going to make a doc app

soon

same symptoms here. ignored it for 7 yrs. only gets worse. you have cts.

got the surgery yesterday...both hands. that's why im typing in short hand.

i cant wait to ride "numb free"