08 530 or 05 525

I just sold a KLR and am going to buy a KTM. I'm pretty new to the dual sport scene. I've been doing a lot of riding in northcentral PA. Mostly dirt road, fire breaks, and gas line riding with some single track mixed in. I found a 525 with 49 hrs for $4000 and a 530 with 350 miles for $6000. Is the 530 worth the extra money for my skill level. I know the new bikes handle a lot better but whatever bike I get on is going to feel like a factory race bike. Would the 525 engine handle a 150 mile day of dirt road riding better than the 530. Looking for something reliable I can put miles on. Not something I would race. Something with more power and suspension than a KLR. Both bikes have been jetted. The 525 has a steering stabilizer, skid plate, but needs a ds light kit. I really dont want to fix problems with the new engines even if they are still minor. any thoughts would help.

If you can easily street plate the '05 525 in your state, I would pick this bike but only if it is the EXC model because of its wider ratio tranny. The 525 MXC has a much less versatile close ratio tranny. The '05 525 is tried and true, dependable, and a very good handling bike. The main advantage of the '08 530, if it is the EXC model, is that it is 50 states street legal from the factory. The '08 530 XCF-W is strictly a dirt bike like the '05 525.

+1

You want an EXC for sure and I would go for the 525 if getting a plate is a sure thing. Check with other locals to be certain. Also know that some states where off-road bikes have been "illegally" plated the state can refuse to renew.

If you are uncertain of getting and keeping the plate the for sure get the 520.

Bruce

I have a plated '01 400 mxc (which is soon to go on the block...replaced by a 530xcr-w). The closer ratio trans is absolutely not detrimental at all in the type of riding I do with it, which is mainly woods stuff...just riding the street to get from trail to trail. It does top out a bit early on the street when geared for the woods...currently running 14/54...will still easily do 60mph+.

Make sure that the title states "MC" for vehicle type/ If so, the bike is platable as is in Pa. If the title shows "OHV" for vehicle type, it will require some work before it can be plated...basically you have to deal with an enhanced inspection station and the bike will be re-titled as a reconstructed vehicle.

Where in norhtcentral Pa. are you? Somerset here.

Coming off what you had I agree either will feel like a factory race bike. All I can say for me I wouldn't consider a pre-2008 KTM. My opinion, in 2008 KTM finally put all the pieces together and they are night and day better now! They finally figured out the shock and no-linkage thingy...:ride:

Highly suggest getting the EXC version if you plan on any street jumping to the next trail!:thumbsup:

Enjoy....

Oldmanx thanks for the info on PA inspection. That saves me some phone calls. I'll make sure to ask the guy when I call him back. I live in Greenville about a hour and half north of Pitts. We do most of our riding Harleys and now dual sports in N central PA. Have a couple of cabins to stay at up that way. Thanks for the input. Hate to let bikes with such low hours and miles go by that half of what new would cost me. If its titled MC I'll definitely try to make a deal on it. Try to get him to come down a little since I have to buy a light kit and mirrors and install the stuff. If not keep looking. The 08 is gone off craigslist must have finally sold it.

Oldmanx thanks for the info on PA inspection. That saves me some phone calls. I'll make sure to ask the guy when I call him back. I live in Greenville about a hour and half north of Pitts. We do most of our riding Harleys and now dual sports in N central PA. Have a couple of cabins to stay at up that way. Thanks for the input. Hate to let bikes with such low hours and miles go by that half of what new would cost me. If its titled MC I'll definitely try to make a deal on it. Try to get him to come down a little since I have to buy a light kit and mirrors and install the stuff. If not keep looking. The 08 is gone off craigslist must have finally sold it.

I'm near Somerset...not too far from you. Have you ever looked at the Rufcutriders.com site? Its a bunch of dual sport riders from Pgh. and the surrounding area...good bunch of guys. Good luck with the purchase!