Sign in to follow this  

Rad guards cause overheating?

Has anyone had the powerplant overheat due to insufficient airflow to through the rad caused by the removal of the plastic deflection louvres? I met a guy on the trail with a YZ450F said he had overheated twice last year with aftermarket guards. he was not specific to time of year , elevation etc. My rad guards are generously slotted but i am concerned slightly. I ride In BC where the temps here can get to 40deg C.(95degrees?) in the summer and never race. I do not want to modify the louvers to fit the guards but is there anything else i can use in the hot months? Ive been told " engine ice " additive will work ? but i am questioning why honda would not use a similar product OEM if it is that effective. also, besides meltdown, what other symptoms will alert me to overheating ? coolant from the cap? thanks guys, Jeff

I only know mine is getting hot cause I can hear it burbling into the overflow tank. This only happens when I am crawling along on some really tight trail where i cant get any air over the radiator for a long time, and also when doing wide open steep hill climbs, especially if I do it more than once.

Some Trailtech computers have a engine temp feature. RAMZ has done testing and yes some guards make the engine run hotter than stock. Good thing about the X is it has a coolant recovery tank so the coolant does not run out of the bike most of the time. Boyeson water pumps, silicone hoses, Engine Ice, and larger capacity radiators can help. As a previous poster noted you can run temp strips to do testing. Almost all of my bikes overheat now and then on gnarly singletrack. Regarding additives, make sure you get one that has antifreeze capabilities as some additves do not and will freeze in cold weather.

he was also on a moto bike with no overflow tank.

the X will do fine without the louvers.

I only know mine is getting hot cause I can hear it burbling into the overflow tank. This only happens when I am crawling along on some really tight trail where i cant get any air over the radiator for a long time, and also when doing wide open steep hill climbs, especially if I do it more than once.

+1! All of the above, plus a long steady technical hill climb will heat mine up. Not a big deal! Either speed up or if you can't stop and let her cool off. I doubt that putting the louvers over the rad guards will change anything because generally, it happens when you're going slow.

I ride In BC where the temps here can get to 40deg C.(95degrees?) in the summer and never race. I do not want to modify the louvers to fit the guards but is there anything else i can use in the hot months?

You might consider adding a fan and a coolant recovery system.

Can the temp really hit 40 C in BC?? That would be 104 F !!

Yeah it gets smoking hot here in the summer months, especially in the interior. if you guys have never been to Canada, bring your bikes to BC for some great Canadian riding. We can also show the Americans how to play some hockey too, AGAIN(hahah, sorry guys...had to). Went riding sans louvres with my guards in, in the slow twisty technicals here and the temp strips did not break 65deg Celcius. I know this is a pretty ghetto way to check, but it gets me in the ballpark. In may I will start running with the coolant additives and monitor the coolant reaction from there. I appreciate the wealth of info you gentleman have taken in and shared wih me. thanks again, Jeff.

i have cages on my R (more restrictive then the louvres) and I was trail riding in the phoenix area for a year or so and never had a problem with overheating.. no catch tank, slow moving, higher outside temps and the bike never really puked (other then a few drops)

See my post #15

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561873&page=2

I did not overheat ONCE after switching to no frontal protection rad braces (currently using MOOSE).

Regardless, I would still zip-ty the deflectors on if you can and put a small piece of plastic to bridge the void (see my post ... you'll see what I mean)

Also an added "tip" ... loop your rad OR overflow tank hose (in the 250X) and ZIP tie it to under your right radiator. Then IF you bike overheats, the coolant will spill onto your header pipe and SMOKE LIKE CRAZY!! You'll know immediately when your bike is overheating.

When the rad overflow hose spews out on the ground, you often don't even realize your losing coolant. This way you'll know instantly.