Sign in to follow this  

springs in cr85 forks on 230.

For those of you that have cr85 fork on your 230. What springs are you using? And what do you weigh. Also what type of riding are you doing?

I have CR80/85 USDs on a XR200 and found the forks under sprung and over damped. So I installed Honda .33kg/mm springs, RaceTech Gold Valves, and Honda HP Pro cartridge fork oil. I currently run the clickers at 3/4 turn out for rebound and one turn out for compression. I don't bottom but there is a lot of front wheel motion and a plush ride. All of the spring calculators say I should run stiffer springs so I might try some stiffer after market springs. My bike has less than 100 lbs on the front wheel so that may be why I can use the soft springs. I'm an old B level Enduro rider, weigh 167 lbs plus clothes and gear, having fun on PNW technical trails.

I'm 230lbs. and trail ride with as much aggressive tight woods single track as i can get. A guy at race tech thinks i would need .46kg springs. and the guy at reger said he thinks.48 would work. i was thinking about .44 I don't know what to get. i hate to get a couple sets of springs

I'm 230lbs. and trail ride with as much aggressive tight woods single track as i can get. A guy at race tech thinks i would need .46kg springs. and the guy at reger said he thinks.48 would work. i was thinking about .44 I don't know what to get. i hate to get a couple sets of springs

What springs have you used in other bikes? That would indicate spring choice for the new forks. The front weight of the bike has a bigger impact on fork springs than rider weight because most of a rider's weight is on the rear wheel. Spring rates for trail riding are much softer than for competition.

My bike weighs 98 lbs on the front wheel with the CR80 USDs, I weigh 185 and ride tight technical PNW woods and I'm running .33 Honda springs and they are really on the soft side but provide a plush ride. I'm considering going up to maybe .35 or .36 springs. RT would have me running .4 springs.

• Like 1

I did the same thing with changing out different springs and oils when I put 85 forks on my 230 but nothing I did made me completely happy, so I scrapped those forks and stuck CR250 forks on instead. I am very happy with those and wish i would have done that before wasting time and money trying to make those tiny 85 forks work (they did work perfect on my 150 but the extra weight of the 230 was just to much for them)

I don't remember. what i used. the last time i changed springs in a dirt bike it was about 14 years ago. and i was much lighter then!