Sign in to follow this  

01 or is it a 03

i bought a 01 (or so i thought) yz250f a couple weeks ago off this guy. he was saying it was an 01 andevery thing and when i went to register it according to the vin number its an 03. so now it has me thinking and i dont really doubt the registry or anything but is there any way you can tell the difference between a 01 and a 03 just so i know its really a 03? also before i found this out i changed the oil and filter and put 1.6L of oil in and a 03 only takes 1.1L but could hold 1.6L i was wondering if it would be best if i drained it and put 1.1 in or if it would be fine or even better if i used 1.6. thanks for any info

I think the 01-02 had the oil dipstick in the center of the frame in front of the tank and its a screw in cap with solid wire sticking down. My 03 dipstick is off to the left side of the steering head and is smaller and had a flex wire so it bends. The seat on the 01-02 comes down off the tank, flattens out for several inches, then goes up to the rear fender. The 03 seat comes down off the tank to a point, then goes up to the rear fender, no flat spot at the bottom. The seats do not interchange between those years. 01-02 have compression release on the left bar. 03 has auto-decomp stock.

I think the 01-02 had the oil dipstick in the center of the frame in front of the tank and its a screw in cap with solid wire sticking down. My 03 dipstick is off to the left side of the steering head and is smaller and had a flex wire so it bends. The seat on the 01-02 comes down off the tank, flattens out for several inches, then goes up to the rear fender. The 03 seat comes down off the tank to a point, then goes up to the rear fender, no flat spot at the bottom. The seats do not interchange between those years. 01-02 have compression release on the left bar. 03 has auto-decomp stock.

Yep your right about the dipstick. Don't really notice the "flat" spot in the seat, although my bike probably has an aftermarket seat from when i bought it.

my dip stick is on the left and i dont have a decompression lever i just have a hot start on the same side as my clutch so it is an 03

Read the 17-digit VIN on the neck of the frame.

Count in to the 10th digit.

If it's a 2001 model, that digit will be a 1.

If it's a 2003 model, that digit will be a 3.

my dip stick is on the left and i dont have a decompression lever i just have a hot start on the same side as my clutch so it is an 03

Cool, that's a good thing because the 03 is a much nicer bike than the 01-02. There were LOTS of improvement on the 2003 model over the previous years. The 03 is about 12 lbs lighter, more trim body work, and came with the auto decompression cam. The 03 was a huge step forward, and IMO, it was the year model which drove the stake into the 125 two stroke. Before the 03 YZ250F, the 125 had the advantage of being so much lighter and reliable/uncomplicated starting.

thanks guys now i know what i really have for a bike haha. what about the oil should i just drain it and put 1.1 in it or just leave the 1.6 in it

01s have a steal sub frame 03s have a aluminum sub frame

My 01 has an Al subframe....