Sign in to follow this  

Washington Never raced, but very interested.

So, i am a seventeen year old kid, I am an decent rider and want to get into off road racing. I live in kitsap county(very close to tahuya) and get a ton of practice there. Any opinions on which races and classes to start with? I will be riding a KTM 200 and probably be going will my friend who is 15 and rides a 250f. Off road only please...

Whatever beginner class is. D? or C? Or there's some age classes... they have weird ways of choosing classes to race in... An for the race,isn't the spark plug comin up?? or is that done?

Go to brothers powersports an talk to them!

Racing is one of those things you just gotta plunge into or not at all. Gotta warn you... Its very addicting.

I am already addicted to riding,Im just like a little kid, I don't want to stop at the end of the day, and exhaustion can be ignored for fun.(not always good)

You and your buddy should team the Desert 100.... you will know after that whether or not racing is for you:thumbsup:

Do your parents support it?

Parental support....Hmmm, yes and no....

My dad bought my bike with his money, I payed all the taxes and fees. He buys the chain lube, anti freeze and has all the tools. I buy the gas, parts, tires and pre mix. He rides, as does the rest of my family, but they only like to ride for around an hour before packing it up. I asked him about the desert 100, but he is scared of it, and thinks its too long. I find my self having allot more fun riding with friends only, where we do 40 mile 1/2 days through tight woods, instead of doing 10 mile quad trail only rides with my family...

So major support in some areas, but defiantly not in racing, my family thinks I have too much energy, they don't understand my excitement and obsessions with my hobbies, but I must thank them for every thing they have done.

My family calls me un grateful because when I ride with them I am not done when they are... My dad wishes I was more like my brother(13), laid back and not excitable...I dont understand them...But I try...I don't know If I could go to the desert 100 without an adult. (I am the oldest and my parents are very protective, you should have seen how much persuasion it took for my to convince me to ride at tahuya without an adult)

Right now I am 17, a senior in high school and will have my AA (degree) by the time I graduate. I will be transferring to a university, to get my business degree next fall, and will probably go into law enforcement there after. My bike will become my dads ride( until he finds its not the best for putting around at 2mph)I have no intentions to get married(at least for the next 10yrs) and know I will have plenty of time to peruse my hobbies when I am independent, but I really want to get into them as much as possible now, when I don't have to worry about my career.

Edited by josmoloco

The Hannegan Hare Scrambles (Bellingham) are a "must do",the Toasted hare is the end of june and the Dirty Dog is in sept. plus this year Skagit Speedway is holding a scramble on july 17 I believe..LOTS of fun!

Parental support....Hmmm, yes and no....

My dad bought my bike with his money, I payed all the taxes and fees. He buys the chain lube, anti freeze and has all the tools. I buy the gas, parts, tires and pre mix. He rides, as does the rest of my family, but they only like to ride for around an hour before packing it up. I asked him about the desert 100, but he is scared of it, and thinks its too long. I find my self having allot more fun riding with friends only, where we do 40 mile 1/2 days through tight woods, instead of doing 10 mile quad trail only rides with my family...

So major support in some areas, but defiantly not in racing, my family thinks I have too much energy, they don't understand my excitement and obsessions with my hobbies, but I must thank them for every thing they have done.

My family calls me un grateful because when I ride with them I am not done when they are... My dad wishes I was more like my brother(13), laid back and not excitable...I dont understand them...But I try...I don't know If I could go to the desert 100 without an adult. (I am the oldest and my parents are very protective, you should have seen how much persuasion it took for my to convince me to ride at tahuya without an adult)

Right now I am 17, a senior in high school and will have my AA (degree) by the time I graduate. I will be transferring to a university, to get my business degree next fall, and will probably go into law enforcement there after. My bike will become my dads ride( until he finds its not the best for putting around at 2mph)I have no intentions to get married(at least for the next 10yrs) and know I will have plenty of time to peruse my hobbies when I am dependent, but I really want to get into them as much as possible now, when I don't have to worry about my career.

GOOD JOB so far and EXCELLENT plan for the future! way to go. stick to your excitement and commitment to riding and it will toughen you up for other things you run into in life and make it easier to bear down and get through.:thumbsup:

Joe

Wow not one person talked about the OMRA events. If you can drive a few hours you may want to check out the Grand Prix and Cross Country series. The 200 AM class should be very interesting this year. Grand Prix races are shorter than the Cross Country races. However, the cross country races can be 75 to 100+ miles, some of them are ass kickers. The offroad community is laid back and easy to talk to for the most part. Find and event you can afford and jump in.

Joe...........

Wow not one person talked about the OMRA events. If you can drive a few hours you may want to check out the Grand Prix and Cross Country series. The 200 AM class should be very interesting this year. Grand Prix races are shorter than the Cross Country races. However, the cross country races can be 75 to 100+ miles, some of them are ass kickers. The offroad community is laid back and easy to talk to for the most part. Find and event you can afford and jump in.

Joe...........

To race in a OMRA event (not necessarily compete for points) what do I need? Be an AMA member, buy a license from OMRA?

Cool you want to race, but just a reminder, most races (if not all) require consent form be filled out if 18yrs or younger. Hate to see you roll into a race and find that you can't do it because of age.

First NMA race(s) is coming up in a month, Frostbite and Whiteknuckle.

Cool you want to race, but just a reminder, most races (if not all) require consent form be filled out if 18yrs or younger. Hate to see you roll into a race and find that you can't do it because of age.

I was figuring that would be true... but there is always a way around it...

after the spark plug, do the shelton valley beginner enduro to fine tune what you learned at the spark plug and then ride the shelton valley enduro the next day to enjoy 60-100 miles of single track.

To race in a OMRA event (not necessarily compete for points) what do I need? Be an AMA member, buy a license from OMRA?

To race one of the OMRA events you need to pay an extra $5.00 if you are not a member. At the OMRA events in Goldendale you do not need to be a AMA member. Remember to bring a written consent statement from your parents.

Debbie

I asked him about the desert 100, but he is scared of it, and thinks its too long. I find my self having allot more fun riding with friends only, where we do 40 mile 1/2 days through tight woods, instead of doing 10 mile quad trail only rides with my family...

Convince your dad that the Desert 100 would be a great weekend for the family! It's not just the race on Sunday, there is the poker run on Saturday that incorporates a big chunk of the race course and you can ride at your own pace, do just one loop (approx. 40 miles) or do multiple loops if you want. There are 'family' sections and 'ironman' sections that are clearly marked so nobody has to worry about getting in over thier head.

Then of course there is the race on Sunday, and you could team it with your buddy (two riders, one bike) or enter the 200-Under class or the Open class and do the entire 100 miles (you will love it!).