Anyone is SoCal want to help me install Hot Cams?

With all the recent threads talking about cam install errors I'm spooked about doing mine. I was hoping to get a set installed and run in before my dual sport ride in late March, but I don't trust any shop to do it. Any of you local-yokels with some knowledge and experience wanna help a brutha out? :ride:

Oh yeah, I'm in Fontana (Inland Empire). ?

Try reading some more threads on cam chain replacement. They seem to have the most information on the subject. I just did mine and have never worked on a bike before I got this one a year ago and found the job fairly easy. If you have done the lock-tite fixes on your bike than you can do this no problem. ?

I don't remember seeing any timing marks on the intake cam. Don't have the exhaust cam yet, still looking for a good deal on that one. I may just have to go for it, but if I do tackle it on my own I'm going to wait until after my ride in March. Don't want to jack something up and not be able to go.

Boy I wish I could! Weather up here n nor cal sucks right now. I can be there in about 6hours all we need is a babysitter and a twelve pak! If you can't find someone to come over and help maybe the gents that really know the INS and OUTS can post some "do not forget items" to make the job easyier on you. I know there posted in varrious threads but maybe we can make a collective check list of everything that will be needed!!!!

Good luck and cheers., Logan

I just done mine, I'm not trying to scare you off but I did have a slight hiccup on the timing. But a few post/questions later (I pretty much knew) and the problem was resolved, I had a slight timing issue. I "think" the cam chain cap needs to put into place before the MCCT is put into place, not sure here, just thinking. But as a whole, it's no biggie. Heck, you have the best place in the world to ask questions. You SO need to do this before your big ride, as it's only a few hours or so. Then you'll have that silly grin...

from what ive seen from you i dont think you will have a issue.

just double check the cam timing before running it.

install them with the tdc line in the hole and the cam marks lined up.install the CCT and rotate the motor 720 degrees till the line is in hole again and look at the cam marks.if they are all still lined up your golded.

no counting pins with hotcams.

Same here I'd be more than happy to help but. There are a couple good threads with pictures. Bronco talked me through my adjustment and then when I did mine. I also found this link was pretty good.

Have you got a manual as well for back up?

http://www.pegmonkey.com/howto/valve_adjust/drz400

I do have a manual. I have the PDF version but would print out the pertaining section(s) and have them in front of me.

from what ive seen from you i dont think you will have a issue.

just double check the cam timing before running it.

install them with the tdc line in the hole and the cam marks lined up.install the CCT and rotate the motor 720 degrees till the line is in hole again and look at the cam marks.if they are all still lined up your golded.

no counting pins with hotcams.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Eddie, I appreciate that.

All right, you guys have convinced me to do it myself. Just need to find a great deal on the exhaust cam. If I don't find a slightly used one in the next couple days I'll suck it up and order new. Found a few on eBay for $125 (new).