Sign in to follow this  

Powdercoating

I called a powder coating company today and just out of curiosity I asked if I needed to disassemble the wheel assembly when I shipped it. They said it is up to you, but if you don't disassemble it they will coat over the spokes and they can no longer be able to be removed.

Isn't that sort of dangerous since you cant adjust them anymore? Or would they no longer be able to become out of adjustment...

Seemed weird and wondered if anyone ever heard of doing something like that.

You need to break down the wheel. Powdercoating everything will look stupid, and you wont be able to properly torque the spokes.

Brake the wheel down and ship them the hub and rim to be powder coated.

I've determined in life that you can do whatever it is that you want to do...there is no rule book or otherwise referees...so if you feel like powdercoating the whole thing...try it out...i'd like to know how it goes.

yeah I think it would look kinda cool...I have black hubs and black rims.. wouldnt mind black spokes and black nipples too. pretty much the same thing as getting the whole damn thing done in black right off the start!

Naturally, spokes stretch...maybe yours wont though and it will look good for years to come!

You need to break down the wheel. Powdercoating everything will look stupid, and you wont be able to properly torque the spokes.

Break the wheel down and ship them the hub and rim to be powder coated.

PLEASE do this!

Brake the wheel down and ship them the hub and rim to be powder coated.

Make sure to tell them to mask the threads or YOU mask them...communication is key!!!

FYI...masking costs$$$$$ cuz it's a pain in the rear especially on a rim and hub...consider the number of holes there are in both and the time needed to maks them all.