Sign in to follow this  

Mufflers

Okay so I am in the process of repacking my mufflers, and honestly i am getting really sick of it. Ive wasted 2 hours so far trying to get the damn things apart, i just dont understand it and why it has to be so hard. i drilled the 12 rivets out or w/e it is, tried prying the base part off with a screwdriver. tried just about everything, the can looks like hell now, and i just would like to know if i missed the whole easy way thing because im just about done with it all. sorry this sounds like I am whining but i need help and i can never get anything done because i always run into problems and then just walk away. thanks

i would really refrain from trying to pry it apart.. it just destroys the can and can cause leaks later on.. drilled out the rivets on the intake side of the can right? (where header comes in) next take a propane torch to it and heat it up around the seam (burn the silicone till it starts to smoke a bit) then while hot and using gloves work it apart sometimes another hand will help alot! they are a pain but ive broken them apart before doing it this way

Does anyone else have any other tips on breaking the muffler apart?? I cant find any videos on the web, tried heating it up with a propane tourch and nothing. of course nothing can ever be made easy

i did mine last summer and is was a dirty slut the whole way but i got it......the reason you can get them apart is because it comes glued together from the factory. I broke mine loose by slaming the exaust tips agains our shop bench and it finially broke loose, the exaust tip will then be lodged inside the can so you have to kinda weasle it out. i did dent in the whole friggen exaust tip but it actually it looks kinda cool that way and its bearly noticible. thats really all i can remember but there was alot of slamming and cusing going on

hold it tightly and hit the the part that bolts to the bike with a rubber mallet. itll keep working slowly but eventually.

did mine during the winter, was a pain in the ass also. I just used a heat gun and rubber hammer, hammered it till they came loose. Left a couple dents in em, but gotter done. good luck

I thought that you could just drill out the endcap rivets and slide the old packing out and slide your new packing in.....Is this not true?

I thought that you could just drill out the endcap rivets and slide the old packing out and slide your new packing in.....Is this not true?

if everything went perfectly and effortlessly then yes that would be true:smirk: you have to drill the rivets out at the base of the silencer to slide the core out that the packing wound around.. even if you were able to remove it from the end cap theres no way you can "slide" in the new packing without bunching up or snagging on the wire core..