Sign in to follow this  

Exercise/warm-up to avoid arm pump?

Hi All,

I'm a weekend rider currently working out of my country. That makes me go home only every 3 months and so, I ride only every 3 months. :thumbsup:

One of the problems I've been having is arm pump right at the start of the ride. Some 20~30 minutes into the ride my forearms are hard as rock and I can barely operate the controls.

After a while I seem to "warm up" and get better.

What do you suggest as an exercise I can do during the week and a warm-up before riding to reduce this problem?

Many thanks for any help!

Just do your general arm stretches and warm your entire body up as you would before a sports game. Make sure your not gripping the bars too tight. If you find your hanging off the bike by your bars, make sure you grip the thank with your knee's to help take some strain off your arms.. Don't push yourself too hard, and if you start to get arm pump, if possible, stop and take a 5 minute break and stretch your arms and body again.

Mega sadface to only riding every 3 months.

I'll put more enphasis in the stretching before the ride. :thumbsup:

And, with such big intervals between rides, I'm sure I'm hanging to the bars to hard. That's a very good point you got there.

Thanks!

I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard of people wrapping a rope around a round object such as a pvc tube, tie a very light weight to the end of it and while holding your arms straight out and only using your hands, you would twist the rope all the way up until you can't go no further. After all that work, you will probably feel the same pain as arm pump. Just a thought.

try taking midol prior to your ride. the muscle relaxant in it helps alot with the pump. for me it helps the old knees too. the string, stick, weight exercise would probably help also.

For me, a bit of forearm stretching before riding and staying loose on the bike. I start to feel arm pump and realize I'm gripping too tight and once I ease up, the forearms do too.

try taking midol prior to your ride..

:thumbsup::lol::ride::lol:

blah hhahahaha

sorry dude but i thought that was f()k*!g HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahaha i cant stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

:thumbsup::lol::ride::lol:

blah hhahahaha

sorry dude but i thought that was f()k*!g HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahaha i cant stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Hey, it works

When you do get to ride, try focusing on squeezing the tank with your knees and relaxing your arms.

Hey, it works

o i was questioning him if it does. i beleive you all. i might try it sometime.

i just thought it was funny

I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard of people wrapping a rope around a round object such as a pvc tube, tie a very light weight to the end of it and while holding your arms straight out and only using your hands, you would twist the rope all the way up until you can't go no further. After all that work, you will probably feel the same pain as arm pump. Just a thought.

That´s the right thing to do! Get pump and rest. The same if you freeze in the winter. Get cold and rest, and you don´t freeze again during the day! I do it every time. Get cold Until you get num and rest. After that you don´t freeze anymore. The same principe with armpump

Hey, it works

it sure does. unfortunately there's nothing that takes the wind out of your sails than to have your wife ask you where you put YOUR midol. she seems to ask more when the guys are over hanging out..... i'm sensing a conspiracy here.

it sure does. unfortunately there's nothing that takes the wind out of your sails than to have your wife ask you where you put YOUR midol. she seems to ask more when the guys are over hanging out..... i'm sensing a conspiracy here.

:thumbsup::lol:

o man your killing me on this thread dude!!! ah hahahahahahaha

i do the michael phelps bird swoops and some wrist warm ups.

staying hydrated helps. biggest thing is to remind yourself to ride loose and to not let youself get death grip. relax.

arm pump is funny for me

i don't warm up, i ride a heavier bike than most of my friends at my age, am skinny, and ride flat out almost all the time

i get arm pump 10 mins into the ride, then after a minute it dissapears and has not came back even after hours

i dont hold the bars tight and try to ride loose

i always had problems with arm pump, then read what Paul Whibley does: get two ace wraps and about 20 min. before the start, wrap your forearms tight for a few minutes. best solution to armpump ive ever tried.

im having a really big problem with arm pump... but then again i should since i havent rode a bike for over 8 months up until 2 weeks ago.. my arm pump doesnt go away though... i know i dont have a death grip. the insides of my pants right at the knees have huge holes in them

i always had problems with arm pump, then read what Paul Whibley does: get two ace wraps and about 20 min. before the start, wrap your forearms tight for a few minutes. best solution to armpump ive ever tried.

That sounds interesting, and pretty easy to do. I'll try that one next time I go riding. :ride:

In April... :thumbsup: