MPG for KLX 250

I just got a 07 KLX 250 with 360 miles on it. The previous owner put a larger head pipe and FMF silencer, 128 main jet, stock pilot & aftermarket needle (don't know which one) in middle position & the air box snorkle is off. It runs good but the bike only gets around 20-25mpg. This seems really low to me. I ride it fairly hard but not all the time. My 200 2-stroke gets about the same MPG on single track. My jetted KLR650 gets mid to high 40's ridin hard.

So, how many MPG do you get with your KLX 250's. And any idea on why mine is so low?

What altitude are you riding at? I am running a 120 main jet at 6000ft. Im riding a 07 300. Dyno jet stage 2. with all the free mods and large exhaust. I average around 50 mpg on the road because of the 13-50 gearing. Could be running rich. check your spark plug color. How many miles are you going before switching to reserve? The main tank is 2 gallons with a .6 reserve. Go Green ?

Just got mine last Wednesday. Its brand new in Malaysia, but its a 2008 H model, which has the 2007 engine and chasis, digital rectangle meter, no tachometer, and a different headlamp cowl....most probably a Japanese model.

I have been calculating usage between off and on road and I got abt 66 - 69 miles per gallon.

Wow, looking at your MPG figures i am very low. I ride around sea level to 1500'. I found the mileage out by just adding gas after a quick ride about 24 miles and put a little over a gallon in it. It also has a clarke tank. I know about the leaking problems that others have had with the clarke tank but it doesn't leak in my garage at all. But it may be leaking while riding. I could put the stock tank back on and see what my MPG is i guess. The bike has stock gearing as well. Also can the slide go in backwards? When i first got the bike it had sat for a while and the PO & i had to take the carb apart and clean out all of the passages, if i remember right the slide wouldn't go back in the wrong way, i could be mistaken though. Thanks for the help guys.

I'm running the 13-45 gears with the lid off, jetting at 132 and 40, and full Muzzy, and high RPM's on and off road, I get 60 all the time. Hey where are you located in the state? ?

Wow, looking at your MPG figures i am very low. I ride around sea level to 1500'. I found the mileage out by just adding gas after a quick ride about 24 miles and put a little over a gallon in it. It also has a clarke tank. I know about the leaking problems that others have had with the clarke tank but it doesn't leak in my garage at all. But it may be leaking while riding. I could put the stock tank back on and see what my MPG is i guess. The bike has stock gearing as well. Also can the slide go in backwards? When i first got the bike it had sat for a while and the PO & i had to take the carb apart and clean out all of the passages, if i remember right the slide wouldn't go back in the wrong way, i could be mistaken though. Thanks for the help guys.

I dont think thats a very good method to determine MPG.

also, check that your odometer is working properly.

Fill the tank and drive it down a known highway marked by mile markers to check your odometer. And burn more than a gallon to check it better.

No the slide can not go in backwards.

Put fresh gas in it too.

if your float is set too high gas will leak out while you ride, but not when the petcock is shut off.

I'm running the 13-45 gears with the lid off, jetting at 132 and 40, and full Muzzy, and high RPM's on and off road, I get 60 all the time. Hey where are you located in the state??

Heh Deej,

I am over in Shelton. My wife and i rode through Forks last year on our offroad trip around the Olympics. I had to stop and get a new pair of sunglasses at the hardware store after leaving mine about 40 miles back. :ride: it did give us some time in Forks though. Neat town. It reminded me of what Shelton used to be 25 years ago. Weird, it was a beautiful blue sky day too.?

I dont think thats a very good method to determine MPG.

also, check that your odometer is working properly.

Fill the tank and drive it down a known highway marked by mile markers to check your odometer. And burn more than a gallon to check it better.

No the slide can not go in backwards.

Put fresh gas in it too.

if your float is set too high gas will leak out while you ride, but not when the petcock is shut off.

I agree with you on determining MPG. I am just trying to figure out what the actual range of this bike is without needing a gas station nearby. I don't use this bike much on the pavment, just dirt roads and trails with short stints on the pavement. I am used to 200+ mile days on my KLR 650 and don't think that is possible without extra gas on the KLX. Fun bike though.?

I'll check the Odo. Do you have a good way of checking the float level? It has fresh gas as well. Thanks

I agree with you on determining MPG. I am just trying to figure out what the actual range of this bike is without needing a gas station nearby. I don't use this bike much on the pavment, just dirt roads and trails with short stints on the pavement. I am used to 200+ mile days on my KLR 650 and don't think that is possible without extra gas on the KLX. Fun bike though.?

I'll check the Odo. Do you have a good way of checking the float level? It has fresh gas as well. Thanks

The float level is best checked using the "clear tube" method outlined in the manual. A piece of clear fuel line like for a chainsaw or just a clear battery overflow tube will work fine. You don't have to have a special Kaw tool as outlined in the manual. True fuel level observation with this method is bulletproof, whereas the float height measurement assumes the float has an exact buoyancy and no needle/seat issues. Float height measurement is usually fine, but occasionally you can have a headache relying on this method.

Heh Deej,

I am over in Shelton. My wife and i rode through Forks last year on our offroad trip around the Olympics. I had to stop and get a new pair of sunglasses at the hardware store after leaving mine about 40 miles back. :ride: it did give us some time in Forks though. Neat town. It reminded me of what Shelton used to be 25 years ago. Weird, it was a beautiful blue sky day too.?

Well then you must have rode over at Tahuya right? Cool trails. Glad you liked the town, too bad it's being ruined by all the Twilight crap! Grrrrrr:banghead:?:banghead:

Well then you must have rode over at Tahuya right? Cool trails. Glad you liked the town, too bad it's being ruined by all the Twilight crap! Grrrrrr:banghead:?:banghead:

Yep my wife and I ride dirt bikes as well and we used to ride at Tahuya quite a bit. It sure can hold a lot of water at times!

I guess every small town has something that ruins it. Hopefully the Twilight crap dies down after a while.

Rode the bike to work yesterday...doing mixed 60mphs.

Filled her up again and calculated the usage when I got home.

The calculations showed I got above 66miles per gallon, (28+km per litre).

The Two Brothers VALE M7 slip on just arrived yesterday evening...

Planning to put it on the bike this weekend and rejett the carbs...

I will see the mileage after that next week. Will keep you posted.

So i finally got to ride for most of a day (Mixed trails and dirt roads, lots of throttle) 86 miles and put in a little under 2 gallons. So right around 43mpg. Is that what i should be getting under those conditions?