Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

My new 450x (so to speak)... going backwards, to go forwards.

Well...

...this is where I'm at.

Long (destination) rides beat my bike to a pulp (500 miles plus). Tear up tires and virtually are whittling away at my piston, crank, valves....etc.etc. So I've decided to add a long range bike to my stable.

Long range? you say... well, more or less a play bike, that can handle long range with little effort, and still give me the "play bike" feeling in the single track and tight stuff. See, it'll go 150miles on the same sized tank as my X, and the tire will have lasted longer due to less wheel spin. And in the long run ... I just want a new toy/project :ride:

So, tonight... I'm headed to this guys house, to purchase a new/used XR400 (see pic below - as purchased)

Before you all scratch your head, or beat on mine... just think about it for a minute or two. A bike with less to break (no radiators), less compression (no valve issues), and still ample suspension (I'm adding upside down forks to it and Precision Concepts will be doing my revalve/respring front and rear) if not GREAT suspension, and less chain stretch/wear... (I could go on and on), with just a tad less of a smirk on my face, because I can't do 80mph wheelies down the street (which saves me a possible ticket anyway!)... it's a win win.

It'll be the latest craze I tell ya!!! :thumbsup:

96511816_1.jpg

You bought a what?

To do what on?

My goodness gracious, what has become of the world.....

...when JAT goes to an aircooled motor and a mild steel framed bike!.

Actually, I considered the same thing, but went with an older Plated WR450 instead.

I've only changed the oil on it three times in one year, but rode it about 2000 miles. It's wonderful under 35mph.

Great machine! I never should have sold mine but to be honest once I got on the X I never really rode the XR. For distance reliabilty rides it's a great bike no doubt. It'll make very good (but different) power and with USD forks and PC re-spring and re-valve it'll handle very good and in some situations better than the X. Put a hot start on it right away 'cause like its XR600 big brother it sometimes can be a biatch to light after a stall or dump when hot even with the Mikuni pumper carb.

Before you all scratch your head, or beat on mine...

No head scratcher there...I don't blame you a bit. I'd love to have a XR400, and especially one that's in such decent shape.

If you don't mind saying, what'd you pay?

You guys won't believe when I post a picture "up close" of this thing....

Seriously.

The cases don't have a scratch, not one. The frame... same, not a single boot mark or even a tennis shoe print. It's MINT MINT MINT.

It's a bike they guy maaaaaybe rode 100 miles. As it still has stock tires on it, and the front looks brand new. The rear... about 1/4 worn. He even has his rayban sunglass case still zip tied to the crossbar (no glasses however - darn!)

The more I look at it, the more I think he rode it around his block a few times and put it away to sit. Under the frame it may have 2 scratches... and no rust, none. Always in his garage next to all his fishing equipment (obviously his passion).

Here's a quick rundown of the acc. he put into it;

- Baja D stator (250W output)

- Baja D halogen soltek 8" headlight and fork race mount

- Baja D street kit (blinkers, switch, horn...etc)

- Acerbis rear under fender, with tail light...etc

- IMS 4G tank

- FMF Pipe and Header

- Acerbis mirror

- Polisport rear fender (or similar smooth MX style)

- CA street plated and green stickered

- Original stock tires

He was asking $3200... I paid'em $3000.

And to top it off, I drove over an hour to his house with my trailer (since it was already connected to my truck), and forgot the trailer keys!! :ride: Instead of driving home... he opted to help me cut the two rear locks off. With his Dremel and a metal wheel. :thumbsup: I stopped off on the way home and bought two new replacement locks for $30.

His comment to me when I was loading it was; "I should've never bought that bike..." I'm assuming because he never rode it, and it just sat.

I've already ordered my tall seat foam, bearing kit for the conversion to USD forks, and a skid plate. And I know where to get a nice dual HID head light... and I'll convert the Soltek Halogen to HID while I'm at it too.

She'll be the ultimate "cruiser" and do me well on long rides. I'm just afraid to get it dirty. It's SO PRISTINE.... it's disheartening knowing what I'll put it through and what she'll look like when I'm done. :lol:

:lol:

I hate you.

:ride:

Lucky bastid.

I love my L and all, but I think a well-equipped 400 would have been a better choice, especially with the 440 kit as a future option.

That was a seriously great find. The elusive "I never rode it, so here's a basically unridden, new-ish bike at half price for you." kind of deal. :thumbsup:

I hate you.

Lucky bastid.

I love my L and all, but I think a well-equipped 400 would have been a better choice, especially with the 440 kit as a future option.

That was a seriously great find. The elusive "I never rode it, so here's a basically unridden, new-ish bike at half price for you." kind of deal. :thumbsup:

haha....

I almost bought a 600, or an L... but just didn't want to go the 'heavy' route for that little bit of grunt power.

And if it's truly such a dog, a 440 "bolt on kit" (no sleeve), is $389 (piston, cylinder, and gasket kit).

I love my XR already!! Everything is so simple to work on... so inexpensive (in comparison), and it should run for years without major service/maintenance!

It's raining here... pictures coming soon. :ride:

You guys won't believe when I post a picture "up close" of this thing....

Seriously.

The cases don't have a scratch, not one. The frame... same, not a single boot mark or even a tennis shoe print. It's MINT MINT MINT.

It's a bike they guy maaaaaybe rode 100 miles. As it still has stock tires on it, and the front looks brand new. The rear... about 1/4 worn. He even has his rayban sunglass case still zip tied to the crossbar (no glasses however - darn!)

The more I look at it, the more I think he rode it around his block a few times and put it away to sit. Under the frame it may have 2 scratches... and no rust, none. Always in his garage next to all his fishing equipment (obviously his passion).

Here's a quick rundown of the acc. he put into it;

- Baja D stator (250W output)

- Baja D halogen soltek 8" headlight and fork race mount

- Baja D street kit (blinkers, switch, horn...etc)

- Acerbis rear under fender, with tail light...etc

- IMS 4G tank

- FMF Pipe and Header

- Acerbis mirror

- Polisport rear fender (or similar smooth MX style)

- CA street plated and green stickered

- Original stock tires

He was asking $3200... I paid'em $3000.

And to top it off, I drove over an hour to his house with my trailer (since it was already connected to my truck), and forgot the trailer keys!! :ride: Instead of driving home... he opted to help me cut the two rear locks off. With his Dremel and a metal wheel. :thumbsup: I stopped off on the way home and bought two new replacement locks for $30.

His comment to me when I was loading it was; "I should've never bought that bike..." I'm assuming because he never rode it, and it just sat.

I've already ordered my tall seat foam, bearing kit for the conversion to USD forks, and a skid plate. And I know where to get a nice dual HID head light... and I'll convert the Soltek Halogen to HID while I'm at it too.

She'll be the ultimate "cruiser" and do me well on long rides. I'm just afraid to get it dirty. It's SO PRISTINE.... it's disheartening knowing what I'll put it through and what she'll look like when I'm done. :lol:

Nice bike. At first I thought you were looking for a bike for the wife.

Great idea and a great find, too. I think most of us would agree with your logic on that one. You do some long-ass rides and it does make sense to have something like that in your arsenal.

I'm betting that the first thing to get chucked is the steel handlebars. The mods already done are great, though! Luckyyyy!

Nice bike. At first I thought you were looking for a bike for the wife.

Wife? Not yet Charlie... not yet. :ride:

Great idea and a great find, too. I think most of us would agree with your logic on that one. You do some long-ass rides and it does make sense to have something like that in your arsenal.

I'm betting that the first thing to get chucked is the steel handlebars. The mods already done are great, though! Luckyyyy!

Oh you know it... I'm going to go out and spray the dust off it now, so I can start takin'er apart and upgrading anything I can today... bars for sure, some nice pro-tapers like I have on my X. Super tall, and comfy. :thumbsup:

I would put a pumper carb on it and forget about the 440 kit. A tuned XR400 is no dawg but it requires a little different riding style.

Oh you know it... I'm going to go out and spray the dust off it now, so I can start takin'er apart and upgrading anything I can today... bars for sure, some nice pro-tapers like I have on my X. Super tall, and comfy. :thumbsup:

Let me know if you want some Windham's. My buddy has a set that he's wanting to switch out for Henry/Reed's & I'm sure he'd sell them super-cheap. I can even bring'em down to San Felipe for you.

My bad. As fast as you move. I wasn't sure. Really, spell check wasn't working :thumbsup:

You've got me thinking. I've been wanting a grocery getter that can go anywhere. Weighing in the factors. Price, durability and ride ability. I've been leaning towards a drz400. I wasn't even thinking about a xr till now. I might have to start a post. The 400 battle drz vs xr

Let me know if you want some Windham's. My buddy has a set that he's wanting to switch out for Henry/Reed's & I'm sure he'd sell them super-cheap. I can even bring'em down to San Felipe for you.

... Don't think I'll make Felipe, but... I'm interested. Aren't the Windhams super tall?

You've got me thinking. I've been wanting a grocery getter that can go anywhere. Weighing in the factors. Price, durability and ride ability. I've been leaning towards a drz400. I wasn't even thinking about a xr till now. I might have to start a post. The 400 battle drz vs xr

It's the latest craze... everybody's doing it.... :thumbsup:

And there are several on Craigs, Trader, and sites like D37 for sale. I can send you my top 5 if your interested. Some of them already plated (always a plus)

It's the latest craze... everybody's doing it.... :lol:

And there are several on Craigs, Trader, and sites like D37 for sale. I can send you my top 5 if your interested. Some of them already plated (always a plus)

Plated :thumbsup: ...I might be interested, although I don't know the going rate.

Anyway, that is a sweet looking XR400 JAT :ride:.