Sign in to follow this  

New to me XR250R

Just picked up my first dirt bike today. :ride: I recently got a TTR125 for my daughter and knew I would have to get something for myself. Did some research and got some great help from these forums in narrowing it down to a couple of bikes that would work for me. An ad came out today for an 03 XR250 at a good price and I jumped on it. Can't wait to get out there. If you have any advice you would like to give to a new XR250 rider about setup or riding, fire away please. :thumbsup:

Just ride the snot out of it and have a blast. They are great trail bikes. I would uncork it by getting a Ballards exhaust end cap and get rid of the stock baffle and spark arrestor. Remove the air box snorkle and you will unleash the beast. Change the oil every 10 -15 hours of riding. I am 6'0" 200lbs and find the suspension too soft for jumps over 4 feet. God knows I should not even be going that big anymore. I gave my CRF230 to my daughter and got a 2004 xr250r...great choice.

Jet size is dependent on alot of factors. The mods you have done and your elevation relative to sea level.

Running to lean can cause all kinds of problems. Mostly overheating issues. You can burn it up , blow gaskets , etc.

You want to check the swingarm pivot bolt, make sure it turns and grease it at least once per year, twice if you will be doing lots of wet riding or water crossings. Otherwise just keep up on basic maintenance and it will last forever (oil/filter changes, valve adjustments, suspension/steering grease, tire and chain replacement and adjustment). All this stuff can be done by any decent shadetree mechanic with a service manual.

Can you post some pics of it?

I would if I could figure out how. Do you have to have a photo bucket account?

Just ride the snot out of it and have a blast. They are great trail bikes. I would uncork it by getting a Ballards exhaust end cap and get rid of the stock baffle and spark arrestor. Remove the air box snorkle and you will unleash the beast. Change the oil every 10 -15 hours of riding. I am 6'0" 200lbs and find the suspension too soft for jumps over 4 feet. God knows I should not even be going that big anymore. I gave my CRF230 to my daughter and got a 2004 xr250r...great choice.

I almost got the CRF230 with that exact intention. I have a feeling my daughter will outgrow her TTR125 fairly quickly. I'm 6'4" 195 so the XR fit me really well though.

The bike has a White brothers e series can. Have no idea how that compares to other types since I'm a newbie.

Ok, I figured out the pic situation. Here is the bike as purchased. I've since taken it up and down the street, through all the gears, and I like it. I like it a lot. :thumbsup:

P2280091.jpg

P2280090.jpg

P2280089.jpg

P2280088.jpg

I noticed your seat tabs , where the bolts go , are on the outside of your side number plates , they should be behind it.

I noticed your seat tabs , where the bolts go , are on the outside of your side number plates , they should be behind it.

Thanks, I'll fix that.

Your bike looks great.

My daughter had a TTR125 also and outgrew it in 6 months. I am shopping for an RMZ250 for her now. I think she is nuts, but what the heck, let her have at it. I hope to send her to MX camp again this summer. We both did the Tony D. camp last summer which was a blast. She could really go places in the sport I think. Her social life seems to be number one right now.

Your bike looks great.

My daughter had a TTR125 also and outgrew it in 6 months. I am shopping for an RMZ250 for her now. I think she is nuts, but what the heck, let her have at it. I hope to send her to MX camp again this summer. We both did the Tony D. camp last summer which was a blast. She could really go places in the sport I think. Her social life seems to be number one right now.

HaHa, Funny. The CRF230 wasn't good enough for her. :thumbsup: How long did she ride that? My daughter talks about MX too. She wants to go to a camp, but she needs some hours under her belt.

Man, after seeing those pics I have got to get mine together, that thing looks sweet! I was at a motorcycle shop this past week that has every make and model of KTM, Kawasaki and Honda that you would want but I was not very impressed. They just looked too tech, too much machine for me. I see the XR and it just seems the right bike for me. Simplistic and sweet with as much bad ass as you would want.