Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

lower subframe bolt - stripped head, whats best?

well, i stripped the head of the bolt trying to get it off :ride: and now I am not sure what to do.. any suggestions? :thumbsup:

Run a bolt all the way through and put a nut with some RTV on the threads and crank it down. I've done it and it works great until you can repair the threads and put the right bolt back in.

thanks! i though one of you guys might have a good solution :thumbsup: now it looks like the only way i am going to get it out is to drill out the center :ride: is that what you meant by saying "repair the threads?"

Edit: the bolt is still in the frame and any wrench i try to put on it will just spin.. so there is no way that i can think of to get the bolt OUT of the frame

Will vice grips work? Or, try a hammer and a slightly smaller american size wrench and smack it onto the head...maybe that will have some grip then.

I've had good luck using a drill to pop the head off. Start with smaller size and work your way up to a size thats real close to the size of the bolt. If the bolts tight I've had the head pop off when you drill enough metal deep enough in the center of the bolt. Got a Bolt out of the bottom of a Goldwing fork leg last friday that way. After the head comes off you can usualy turn the bolt out with a punch. This will not work this easy if the bolt is cross threaded or rusted in.

Can you grind the head off the bolt and slide the subframe off the stub thats left? Once the frame is out of the way it will be easy to vise grip the stud out. Also hammering on a smaller size socket is a good idea. Sometimes just hammering on a bolt will loosen it enough to get it moving.

or, you can weld something onto the head and spin it out.:thumbsup:

if you are in LA, bring it by and I'll get it out for you.

thanks guys, we ended up using a method like ATOMANT suggested.. we drilled through the head of the bolt until it popped off (didnt even touch the subframe or the threads in the frame :ride: ) then we moved the subframe and we were able to get the bolt out.. thanks a ton for all the help! :thumbsup: