Sign in to follow this  

Is there gravel in my engine?

Hey guys still learning about my bike as I go along here and I should start by saying that I don't really have any problems but I do notice that engine has always sounded like it has gravel in it. I'm used to very quiet engines and this one is just not like that at all. The oil is very clean (clear in fact) and the bike had 3000 miles when I got it. I think I'm at about 4000 now and I've done one oil change. Sometimes when I'm on the trails with it in third gear and I let the engine rev down to a lug I will get a knock when I start to pull out of it. Is that a normal condition? Maybe this bike isn't designed to perform like that? Some advice from you seasoned DRZ bombers would be helpful.

It all sounds normal. This is a noisy engine. Do all the "loctite fixes" and install a MCCT.

Have you read the FAQ section? If not take the time to do it. Many things you need to know can be found in there. Answers to questions you didn't even know you had.

yeah..drzs sound like sewing machines.

Dont lug it...its a thumper and likes to be revd

Oh, I forgot to mention. Don't let it lug like that. It is hard on the engine. Shift down when you need to. Better high revs than low ones.

These are not quiet engines so the "gravel" noise is pretty normal. The engine also doesn't like to be "lugged" so grab a lower gear and let it rev. That knock sound is piston slap. Welcome to the club!

Hey guys still learning about my bike as I go along here and I should start by saying that I don't really have any problems but I do notice that engine has always sounded like it has gravel in it. I'm used to very quiet engines and this one is just not like that at all. The oil is very clean (clear in fact) and the bike had 3000 miles when I got it. I think I'm at about 4000 now and I've done one oil change. Sometimes when I'm on the trails with it in third gear and I let the engine rev down to a lug I will get a knock when I start to pull out of it. Is that a normal condition? Maybe this bike isn't designed to perform like that? Some advice from you seasoned DRZ bombers would be helpful.

Does it knock at idle?

It doesn't knock at idle. Only gravel when it idles. Good to know about lugging the engine. Some engines are able to do that but not all. That's ok, I can handle that. I'd like a KDX 200 for the tight woods. Thanks you all for the advice. I'll keep it in mind while I (on the trail whale) am shreddin it up tomorrow in the woods.