Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400s price check

I've been a lurker here for a while as I'm contemplating a DRZ 400s or similar to complement my (mostly) street bike (V-Strom 650). Basically I'm looking for something that will be fun on the trails, not too punishing for a new dirt rider, and capable of some long distance offroad touring.

But I digress... A guy in town is selling a DRZ. Here's the ad:

"2007 Suzuki DRZ400S, blue. 5k miles, street legal, great shape, new knobby tires, pro-taper handle bars with risers, utility rack, improved aspiration, hand guardds, and more. Bought new for over $5K, asking $3200 OBO. New father must sell - make an offer"

Of course I would want to inspect/ride the bike in person but does this seem like a good deal? Anything I should look out for or questions I should ask?

Thanks for your help. I hope to be able to contribute more here once I get a little bit of dirt under my fingernails (and knobbies).

Ask about maintenance history (oil changes and intervals, checking valves, etc) also the "improved aspiration" might be worth a question. Did he re-jet to go along with that or just cut a hole in the airbox?

Assuming the approved aspiration isn't some hack job of a mod and assuming the bike has been properly maintained and is in very good to excellent condition $3200 is a reasonable asking price.

Im selling this 05s with an FCR a yosh system pro tapers,baja tailite, zeta levers, renthal sprockets, gold rk chain, skidplate, seatcover, front disc cover,and new dulop606s for 3200. A fellow TT is coming to pick it up in the next few weeks. If it doesn't have all these parts and its not in great condition then you BOBS_BIKES_5_24_09_011-1.jpgshould be able to get it for less.

I had a chance to check out the bike today in person. Things I learned/observed:

- Bike lives outside under a cover.

798701485_jCAat-M.jpg

798701540_C7FEB-M.jpg

798701630_4ZSE3-M.jpg

Body appeared in good condition but winters here are long, snowy, and often extremely cold. Is storing a bike outside like this in this environment a red flag? My V-Strom gets TLC all year long in the garage except, of course, when I'm riding it a little too fast when fully loaded though the sand in Middle of Nowhere, Utah:

734034261_vVMdt-M.jpg

- Chain looked pretty worked and has never been replaced.

798701504_GK8yY-M.jpg

- Disc on rear brake hade some small rust flecks on it. Most the frame and metal looked cleaned up there was some minor evidence of corrosion/wear. Not sure if this is typical for a dirt bike or not.

798701648_XVmWd-M.jpg

- Oil has been changed twice in 5K miles but no engine work (valves, etc) has been done.

- Small bend on bracket holding plastic side plate where an old lady backed up into the bike (looks like gently).

- Knobby tires are quite close to new. Didn't get the make/model.

798701456_A5RD7-M.jpg

Thoughts? Thanks for your help and the previous replies.

price and demand. if you wait a few more weeks, more bikes will be listed. spring is almost here and bikes for sale will begin to spike.

overall view of the bike in the photos above...

- storing a bike outside, and what appears to be an apartment complex, is asking to have it stolen. being covered is the next best thing to being in a garage.

- had to check my drz in the garage to take a look at the OEM guide plate. the one in the photo looks bent.

- check the oil? let the bike run for 2 min, then wait for 2 minutes after shutting the bike off to check the oil.

- any idea what happened to the right mirror? missing in photo. missing parts is a HUGE turn off for buying a bike. it's like looking at a used car with missing center caps for the wheels.

- the rust on the rear rotor... is expected, being rode in the dirt and stored outside.

- check the spec on oil changes and ask the current owner questions. with 5k on the clock, it should have had 3 by now. *others may argue with this number* just my thought.

few more things to check...

take a bike stand with you. *mx style so the front and rear tire is in the air.

- spin the front & rear to check they are strait. *no wobble or bounce*

- check the spokes to be sure none are loose

BEST ADVICE - take a rider / mechanic with you to view the bike. a motocross rider will be able to crawl over the bike and check a few more key parts with the bike on a stand.

- spokes and wheels

- rear linkage / swingarm play

- steering bearings

- air filter clean? airbox clean?

- thickness of break pads?

- rotors grooved?

- missing bolts anywhere?

- clutch adjustment

from a couple photos, it's still a crap shoot for viewers of the site. to be with the bike in person, a better call could be made. If you feel it's the right bike, at the right time for you... get it! the details of key issues and maintenance needed for all of these bikes is verrrrry well documented on thumpertalk!

hope it helps!

chris<pixelmonkey>:thumbsup:

$3200.00 seems high for So Cal. Bike looks ok, but it's not stellar. Down here that would fetch about $2200 tops. I'd keep looking.

Hello,

The price seems pretty reasonable given the condition, year and mileage. I just paid $3900 for a 2008 S with 1k miles. Excellent condition.

I would offer $2900.00 that seems like a steal from where I am sitting. I looked for drz's for two months before I purchased. There wasn't a whole lot to choose from. Local dealer had a 2007 with 2k and got 3900 plus fees so about 4100 for it. Granted that was a dealer, overhead....blah blah.

I was quite surprised how much these bikes retain their value. After looking for a while I pulled the trigger on the 2008 seemed like the best deal at the time for me. When spring gets here all of that may change...people upgrade and sell more frequently.

$3200.00 seems high for So Cal. Bike looks ok, but it's not stellar. Down here that would fetch about $2200 tops. I'd keep looking.

For a 2007 drz400s??????? with 5k? I am not arguing. Just wish I would have driven to Cali instead of Ohio to get mine. Seems like the prices for a DRZ would be pretty stable throughout the US.

I'd keep looking... or offer 2300 max, 2 oil changes in 5k miles doesnt scare you? It scares me and i'm not even buying the thing.

Thanks, guys. All of this is really helpful. If anyone else has thoughts, please feel free to chime in!

Now I've got to do some thinking and maybe got back for a more detailed inspection...

I just picked up a blue 2002 drz400s with 1453 miles, perfect shape last week. His asking was $3,000, negociated and purchased at $1,950.

Dwayne

I'm in the process of buying an 03 with 63 miles on it for $3100. How does that sound? Its got a skid plate, hand guards, IMS OS tank and aftermarket tires (with the nubs still on obviously). Bike looks like it sat on a showroom floor since 03. Any opinions?

I'm in the process of buying an 03 with 63 miles on it for $3100. How does that sound? Its got a skid plate, hand guards, IMS OS tank and aftermarket tires (with the nubs still on obviously). Bike looks like it sat on a showroom floor since 03. Any opinions?

Now that is a good deal! The larger tank is definitely something I'd add anyhow.

Got an 03 klx in Oct for 2600. w/383 smiles, Tit. 4, carb jets, as new.