Sign in to follow this  

sloppy rear suspention

I called race tech and I apparently have a spring that is too heavy for my weight. Everywhere I ride has miles of woops and this soggy suspension really wears me out. I am riding through the woops and my rear shock is compressing so fast it just sogs down springs up and I hold on for dear life. I get jerked back and forward and keep a death grip on the bars while I try to keep her going straight. When I hit even small jumps it compresses very far into the travel. I weight 180 lbs. with gear and race tech spring 86322 the second number 672757. The brass compression adjuster and high and low speed compression is set all the way firm. its an 01' so it doenst have an adjuster down by the swingarm. thanks

edit: you can see in this vid how much it compresses. I want my bike's suspension to feel soft and then firm...progressive not all sloppy. I was 25lbs. lighter in that video but you can still notice it.

The springs job is to set ride height, not keep the suspension from bottoming. If your sag numbers are correct you need to have the suspension valved for your use. Since your bike is older, while you have it apart replace any worn out parts (bushings, seals, etc.). If the sag can't be set where it should be check into new springs.

The springs job is to set ride height, not keep the suspension from bottoming. If your sag numbers are correct you need to have the suspension valved for your use. Since your bike is older, while you have it apart replace any worn out parts (bushings, seals, etc.). If the sag can't be set where it should be check into new springs.

is valving your suspention a DIY job?

The rear shock, no, it isn't.

Tearing the forks apart and putting them back together is easy enough, but you need tuning knowledge and experience to know how to build the shim stacks.

For some it is with a bit of outsourcing for the nitrogen charge.

It's not that difficult but you have to have some good general mechanical experience and understanding of what is inside that showa shock when it comes apart.

Many choose to let someone else do the job, it just depends on what your looking for.