Sign in to follow this  

Axles super tight through spacers

I was putting my wheels on today and when i went to slide my front axle through the spacers, they were tught as all hell. With grease and everything, i still had to use a rubber mallet to get the axle through the spacer and hub, once it came out the other side, it was so tight that it was pushing the other spacer out with it. Why are they so damn tight? This cant be right. When I beat the axle back out of the hub, the other spacer came off with the axle. To get the spacer off of the axle I may even need to use some heat. But I put it off for now because Im operating with only one hand and its getting tough and painful.

I did remove the forks just recently. I guess this could be it, but kinda don't think so. I'll have to fight with it some more in a few weeks when my hand heals up.

i dont grease my axle itself. i feel the grease attracts dirt which can gum up and make things tight. the axle and spacers dont spin and neither does the inner bearing race and center spacer. i clean all of those parts thoroughly with carb or brake cleaner and even scrub them up with a scouring pad and they slide right in and out.

to remedy any possible miss alignment of the forks, loosen all of the triple clamp bolts including the pinch bolt on the steering stem as well as all of the axle bolts.

give it all a good shake.

retighten all of the bolts except the axle and the axle should slip out straighter.

do not try to remove the axle with the forks loose it can cuse more binding than usual.

hope this helps a bit

for wet muddy conditions id say to grease it. for dry conditions id say it would attract dirt. rub your fingers along the axle see if a groove has been cut into it.

the question for me is,"how did it come out?" Was it easy, did you hit it with a hammer? Maybe you damaged the end of the axle taking it apart.

for wet muddy conditions id say to grease it. for dry conditions id say it would attract dirt. rub your fingers along the axle see if a groove has been cut into it.

i would agree tf...im in so cal, we get alot of dusty dry stuff here not alot of wet and muddy.

the front axle on the newer ktms are titanium so there is no real chance of rust for what little streams we do cross.

jmg...mike might be on to something with the point on a wear grove on the axle or spacers might make it hard to remove. check the axle for wear and the end for flaring