Sign in to follow this  

Valve seat question?

If I have already had my seats cut do I need to replace them or can I have them cut again?

Oh shoot I wasnt thinking about the shims. Would the shim size be extreamly small, In other words smaller then what is included in the hot cams shim package?

ok im planning on replacing the valves and springs is there anything else I should replace while im in there?

It depends on how small your shims are already. Someone who cuts valve seats for a living will know how much material is usually removed in the process.

You will also want to replace your valve seals, and you may as well upgrade to the 2010 YZ250F aluminum retainers, they are much lighter which will help increase valve life, engine will rev quicker because of the lighter valvetrain.

• Like 1

Make sure you go through a reputable machine shop. You want someone who knows what they are doing. Some machine shops might just cut the seats for you not knowing what your tolerances are for shimming up the valves. If they machine to much off and you cant shim them then you just wasted money on cutting seats on a head that needs new seats now.

It depends on how small your shims are already. Someone who cuts valve seats for a living will know how much material is usually removed in the process.

You will also want to replace your valve seals, and you may as well upgrade to the 2010 YZ250F aluminum retainers, they are much lighter which will help increase valve life, engine will rev quicker because of the lighter valvetrain.

Thanks for all the help and great idea about the retainers im excited to try those out.

Make sure you go through a reputable machine shop. You want someone who knows what they are doing. Some machine shops might just cut the seats for you not knowing what your tolerances are for shimming up the valves. If they machine to much off and you cant shim them then you just wasted money on cutting seats on a head that needs new seats now.

Yeah thats what I was thinking when everybody was telling me to take it to any machine shop. I found mxtime.com last night, they do it for a pretty cheap price and it sounds like they know what theyre doing:thumbsup: