Sign in to follow this  

525 oil not circulating???

The last 2 times I changed the oil on my 2003 525 EXC, I let it warm up for a while (About 5 minutes @ idle the first time, then 10 minutes plus a ride around the block the 2nd time). Both times, the cylinder and radiators were hot to the touch.

But when I pulled the drain plug, the oil came out cold!! Both times!

Surely the engine would have locked up tight if it wasn't circulating at all, right? Could it have some restriction that only lets a little oil circulate? I can't believe this is normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Your cylinders and radiators are going to heat up before your oil will. Like simon@vic said, you need to take the bike for a long, hard ride, and your oil will be hot.

When was the last time you changed oil filters? Do anything different (brand, not priming the filters)? I have seen filters collapse when the motor has been reved at startup with dry filter cavities though I doubt this would prevent the oil from circulating.

I have to agree with the other posts. The coolant will probably heat up 10X quicker than the oil. Not sure if you have doubts I would run it hard, but an EZ trip around the neighborhood should generate some warmth in the cases.

A side note. The first Husky 4 strokes, which the RFS shares a distant lineage with, had no oil pump or pressurized oil system. They were strictly splash lubricated and the oil reach the top end via the cam chain.

Bruce

Your symptoms sure are strange. I can't offer you any advice other than to post your question on the KTM talk, rfs forum. I'm sure a guru will chip in.

The only oil that would get hot from idling for 5 minutes is the small amount of oil being shot under the piston to lube the piston rings and wrist pin. The oil in the rest of the engine will remain fairly cool to the touch.

I think a good hard ride for 5-10 minutes will warm it sufficiently.

That's normal. It takes me a good 15-20 minutes of mid to high rpm, not idle, to get the oil hot enough to thin out before I drain it. That is with both motorex and rotella.

Just letting the bike idle, in my opinion, doesn't let the oil warm up. The pump isn't circulating it much. Besides the the tranny sees a good portion of the oil as well, so riding it and letting the tranny and clutch heat the oil makes a big difference. If it was not circulating, your bike would be crazy hot if not seized in very little time.