Sign in to follow this  

Stator, CDI, or both

Last week I was rollin on a trail, bike started running rough, then died. I had it diagnosed, the mech said that the cdi was bad, possibly caused from the stator shorting out. Is this possible or is he trying to upsell me. If I put a new CDI IN will it get fried also.

Bikes a 01 drz e model, thanks in advance

Get a hold on a manual and test things out. I am not saying the mechanic is trying to take you for a ride but in all the time here I don't think I have heard of more than one CDI that actually went bad.

On my s model there's a fuse in the circuit. Seems that the cdi would be protected by a fuse. We hear about a pretty good number of fried stators, but never a cdi along with them. Seems a bit suspicious to me.

But, we'll wait for the experts to chime in.

You could take your cdi and plug it into another bike as a test.

What they said. (all of them)

In my 30 years of playing with motorcycles... I've only ever changed one CDI ever. It was a 91 XR250L with 23K miles on it... and they were known to go intermittent when they got old.

Thanks for all the info, The cover was off (I think) Do you have to pull the cover to test it? Also can the stator be changed relatively easy. I have average mechanical skills, but Ive never dug into a bike.

Thanks for all the info, The cover was off (I think) Do you have to pull the cover to test it? Also can the stator be changed relatively easy. I have average mechanical skills, but Ive never dug into a bike.

We are asking about the stator cover due to a known issues with the stater clutch bolts backing out and or shearing which damages the stator. Giving the symptoms you have described. You diagnose this easily by some simple testing and a visual look at the stator, few minutes the cove comes off and if the stator is damaged physically you will see it right away.

The stator can be changed easily. If the starter clutch bots came out the repair is a little more involved.

Tor it apart this afternoon, everything looks good so hope its just a bad stator, atleast I shouldnt have to replace the CDI, Thanks for the advice