USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Does oil qauntity effect small bump harshness? 2010 KX250F..

Have had my 2010 KX250F revalved for woods/enduro and its feeling pretty good in most places except into small breaking bumps and roots about 2-3 inches high while under brakes mainly.

Have spoken to the tuner and he is thinking he may need to give the shims another small tweak but has asked me first to drop about 30cc of fork oil out of each leg and try that first.

Does fork oil qauntity have much of an effect in this area?

it should not in thoery, but in practice i feel it does a little, also those small bumps might be a rebound issue, try backing out the fork rebound 5 clicks and retest.

Have had my 2010 KX250F revalved for woods/enduro and its feeling pretty good in most places except into small breaking bumps and roots about 2-3 inches high while under brakes mainly.

Have spoken to the tuner and he is thinking he may need to give the shims another small tweak but has asked me first to drop about 30cc of fork oil out of each leg and try that first.

Does fork oil qauntity have much of an effect in this area?

Yes, the area above the oil level is called your "air chamber" and air compresses, oil doesnt. You must have air space when the forks are fully compressed. This is usually done by removing the spring, collapsing the tube and measuring down to the oil level. As the air compresses, it can acts as a cushion as you will be compressing the air in the fork. So more air, more cushion. Of course, there can be too little and too much. You are in the "preffered section" it between min and max. Fine tuning from there is what the fork tech is having you do. So in short, yes, removing some oil will reduce harshness.

Thanks, will give it a crack, ride it on wed and report back what i find.

Depending on where your compression clickers are set. You can soften

it up a bit to help with small bump harshness, thats If rebound doesn't help like mog mentioned. I rode a really rough track

on Sat. and I had mine set back at 16 on comp. and 12 on rebound.

Thats with the DDT setup.:thumbsup: I don't like to run my rebound back too far,

it may start messing with you in the turns. Meaning your bike may want to stand up a bit. But you might be able to adjust the rear sag to accomodate the fast rebound. IMO

Depending on where your compression clickers are set. You can soften

it up a bit to help with small bump harshness, thats If rebound doesn't help like mog mentioned. I rode a really rough track

on Sat. and I had mine set back at 16 on comp. and 12 on rebound.

Thats with the DDT setup.:thumbsup: I don't like to run my rebound back too far,

it may start messing with you in the turns. Meaning your bike may want to stand up a bit. But you might be able to adjust the rear sag to accomodate the fast rebound. IMO

I will give the rebound suggestion a go like mog recommended aswell.

Tried backing the comp out the other day, got to 16 out and it started diving to hard under brakes so went back into 14 for now.

Rode yesterday after pulling 30cc out of each fork leg, think it made a tiny difference in really small bumps/rocks but not much. Then tried speeding the rebound up, went to 14 clicks out, didnt improve it, made it worse in ruts on exits under power... was hitting small bumps then rebounding out of the ruts and wanting to wheely a little bit.

So gonna have a small adjustment done to the shims in the fork next week and maybe the shock too.

did you try altering the compression to see if that made a difference?

braking over a tree root is probably the worst thing you can do offroad, your gonna feel it no matter what because your well into the fork travel when you hit it

did you try altering the compression to see if that made a difference?

Yeah ive been as far out as 16 on the comp and at that point felt it dove a little too much under hard brakeing, but i didnt try and back the shock out to match it at the same time, so might try a few more things tomorrow before i take it back to the tuner next week.