Sign in to follow this  

Which Biike: KDX220 or KDX Hybrid?

Close to me is a 2001 KDX220 in decent shape for $1500. It is all stock with a few extras (skid plate, brush guards, frame guards) and the original piston. tI asked about the linkage bearings, they have not been looked at in a year. In the TT classifieds, there is a hybrid for $1900 in FL. It would seem that the hybrid is a far better value but I am unsure. I am not knowledgeable concerning hybrids and haven't been on a 2T in 20+ years.

I have a previous post that provides info on my size, terrain, etc. It has KLR650 in the title and I received only 1 reply:bonk:.

Please help me make an informed decision with your opinions/knowledge.

Thanks.

Original piston in an 01'? The piston and the fact he hasn't looked at his bearings in over a year makes me a little weary. 220's are known to have piston skirts cracking and the original one in a bike that is 9 years old is kinda scary.

By hybrid I assume you mean someone stuck KLR650 engine in a KDX frame? That just sounds freakishly wierd to me.

KDXs are pretty damn tough bikes so if you had to chose from the two, I'd take the 01 220. If you can afford the 1900 one, take that extra money from buying the 1500 one and do some TLC on it. When I got it I would replace any bearings that need it, and lube the rest. I'd also tear down the motor and replace the top end. Check the bottom end out as well. Top it off with the basics and you should be good to go.

I owned a 04' KDX200, was a great bike and tough as nails.

If you are talking about the hybrid 2weelz is selling,its a 2000 KX125 with200 engine.If its still availiable you should go and take a look at it,because by looking at the pictures its a great deal and it has alot of new parts.You just need to go see it to make sure everything looks ok.Its a better bike than a kdx would be.

This is a picture of the bike.

100_02361.jpg

Edited by canuckwr250

If that's the bike above I would seriously take a look at it the KX has way better suspension than the KDX. I had a KDX220 it was a great beginner woods bike but the out dated suspension will hold you back.

The KDX motor is bullet proof!

Good Luck!

If that's the bike above I would seriously take a look at it the KX has way better suspension than the KDX. I had a KDX220 it was a great beginner woods bike but the out dated suspension will hold you back.

The KDX motor is bullet proof!

Good Luck!

I would have to agree with this.

I thought you meant the hybrid involved a KLR engine not a KDX in a KX frame.

Thats a pretty sick set-up. I would definitely go for that.

Thanks for the replies.

I should have been more clear to avoid confusion. Canuckwr250 was correct, it was the hybrid KX/KDX for sale by 2weelz. I mentioned the KLR because I had a previous post where I asked for opinions on which bike to buy. Foremost, I want a RELIABLE bike I can put around on with the kids and possibly do some HS races. I assume that since it has the KDX engine it would be happy(?) to just lug around slowly. It is a fair distance away so I would not want to waste my efforts for something that may not fit me.

Referencing my previous post, would a KDX220, 04 or 05 KTM300 or 04 WR450 be adequate? I only have recent experience with 4T. All but the KDX is pretty tall for me but then so is the KLR and it is heavy in the dirt!

Once again thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I should have been more clear to avoid confusion. Canuckwr250 was correct, it was the hybrid KX/KDX for sale by 2weelz. I mentioned the KLR because I had a previous post where I asked for opinions on which bike to buy. Foremost, I want a RELIABLE bike I can put around on with the kids and possibly do some HS races. I assume that since it has the KDX engine it would be happy(?) to just lug around slowly. It is a fair distance away so I would not want to waste my efforts for something that may not fit me.

Referencing my previous post, would a KDX220, 04 or 05 KTM300 or 04 WR450 be adequate? I only have recent experience with 4T. All but the KDX is pretty tall for me but then so is the KLR and it is heavy in the dirt!

Once again thanks

It can handle putting around, yes. HS races are where it shines.

The KDX will be perfect for what you want.

If you want something reliable easy to ride and light(196lbs) for woods riding get the hybrid.The asking price is very good.