Sign in to follow this  

Overloaded?

Yep, thats an F150. Couldnt believe had to run up and take some pics as it was stopped in traffic control. Took off on the grade very well I thought. Way better than i would have expected froma small block V8

HPIM2334.jpg

That is an accident looking for a place to happen. That is truly retarded and has no regard for anyone else on the road. Chances are the CHP would stop him and not let him continue. Why do people do this kind of stuff?

That is an accident looking for a place to happen. That is truly retarded and has no regard for anyone else on the road. Chances are the CHP would stop him and not let him continue. Why do people do this kind of stuff?

Because someone on a web forum probably told them they could.

Agree, it can get going, but can is STOP?

Is that an Oregon plate?

I wonder how much it weighs. The truck desn't appear to be sagging excessively in the rear so it may not be exceeding the manufacturer rated axle/wheel/tire weight handling capacities. That trailer looks heavy though so surely it must be exceeding the vehicle tow limit. Those new half tons seem to have the towing and hauling capacities of 3/4 tons from 20 years ago though so maybe it's OK?

Except that trailer may be over weight for a 3/4 ton truck. I don't care about anyones death wish, I just don't want to be part of it.

I wonder how much it weighs. The truck desn't appear to be sagging excessively in the rear so it may not be exceeding the manufacturer rated axle/wheel/tire weight handling capacities. That trailer looks heavy though so surely it must be exceeding the vehicle tow limit. Those new half tons seem to have the towing and hauling capacities of 3/4 tons from 20 years ago though so maybe it's OK?

That trailer is beyond the tow vehicle's capacity. More than likely the tow vehicle got airbags or helper springs so it doesn't LOOK like it's overweight.

Its only a double axle, he's probably at the limit. Well it works, its all good, most people out here would have gotten a 1 ton, even if its a 5x8 open trailer.

That trailer is beyond the tow vehicle's capacity. More than likely the tow vehicle got airbags or helper springs so it doesn't LOOK like it's overweight.

People don't realise that if you add helper springs, or airbags, your still limited (legally) to the manufacturers limits as delivered from the factory. You might be able to tw or carry more, but if your in an accident, and your overloaded past the GVW you'll be in big trouble. (which is why I bought an F350 over an F250 for carrying a slide in camper and towing bikes at the same time)

People don't realise that if you add helper springs, or airbags, your still limited (legally) to the manufacturers limits as delivered from the factory. You might be able to tw or carry more, but if your in an accident, and your overloaded past the GVW you'll be in big trouble. (which is why I bought an F350 over an F250 for carrying a slide in camper and towing bikes at the same time)

So true PLUS the last thing most people (or a lot of people) think about is stopping...another reason 3/4+ trucks are used to haul bigger loads so it can be stopped with their bigger brakes...regardless of the traler brakes!!!

My understanding is that the manufacturers weight limit ratings are merely recomendations based on installed OEM equipment. I suspect how "big" the "trouble" you'd be in would depend on what the lawyers could convince the jury of about the situation based on specific vehicle upgrades, and testimony regarding that and the many other various factors.

It is a big trailer to be sure that looks too big but it all comes down to weight. If the trailer made of foam titanium and feathers maybe it's within the limits as long as it's not carrying a cargo of lead bricks.

That's at least a 15,000lb trailer (dry), and last time I checked, your average 1/2 ton is usually rated for 7,500-10,000lb, Now, not to say that I too haven't overloaded a truck or two, but never to that extent.

That no good, at least he'll end up paying for it in trans repair...

My understanding is that the manufacturers weight limit ratings are merely recomendations based on installed OEM equipment.

There not recommendations, they are the permissable limit of towing capacity or capacity in the truck.

The capacity limit in the truck also includes, passengers, food, fuel, clothes, camping gear bikes,etc etc. It's very easy to overload an 1/2 ton truck and not now it. I've had 2500lbs in the back of my GMC 1500 truck, it drove just fine, it just wasn't legal.

Ok......I'll take a stab this.

If that driver maintains a six second gap following distance, uses flashers on grades, and stays at least 10-15 mph below posted speed limits, then he is not an accident waiting to happen.

Assuming of course the trailer brakes work, and the half ton truck has LT D tires or better properly inflated etc.

Not saying its a good idea, but properly driven it could be done safely.

BB

am I feelin the dejavu today or did we see this same thread with the exact same picture about 2 years ago?

I was thinking the same thing? :thumbsup:

There not recommendations, they are the permissable limit of towing capacity or capacity in the truck.

The apparent contradictions about htis stuff all over the net make this so confusing and I don't want to be a road hazard or get pulled over. I started trying to reasearch this stuff before I bought my camper and trailer to make sure, but here I am already having fun enjoying these toys on a regular basis while STILL wondering if I'm over legal limits. Now, I'm not saying you are wrong just that some of the info I have collected seems to be at odds with it. I'm probably just going to eventually have to break down and go over to my weigh station get weighed and have a bit of a chat with the DOT boys to put my mind at ease.

I have heard it said on occasion that you can legally upgrade F250's for example to F350 hauling/towing capacity by upgrading the only hardware differences between the two besides the emblems, ie I believe the spring pack, brakes, and tires.

Don't most new 3/4 ton trucks come with D rated tires from the factory? If you do the math D tires would not be up to the task of allowing the newer 3/4 ton trucks to actually carry it's full GVRW even if you were somehow able to perfectly optimize load positioning and perfectly balance the weight over front to back and side to side such that each tire had the same weight.

Why's it gotta take a dang law degree just to go camping? :ride::thumbsup:

I have heard it said on occasion that you can legally upgrade F250's for example to F350 hauling/towing capacity by upgrading the only hardware differences between the two besides the emblems, ie I believe the spring pack, brakes, and tires.

You can take an F250, and add F350 springs etc etc, but it's still not an F350, I'm 100% certain that a dealer couldn't do that as well. The load your allowed to legally carry/tow is the load on the plate on the door pillar behind the drivers door.

IMGP87202.jpg

The front and rear GAWR's are your limit. So you could add rear air bags, F350 springs, and put them on an F250, but the GAWR ratings from the factory are the limit.

I did a fair amount of research, and that's why I bought an F350 instead of an F250. I know I'll never ever be overloaded. (actually it turns out after I bought a lightweight po-up camper I would have been OK with an F250)

The capacity limit in the truck also includes, passengers, food, fuel, clothes, camping gear bikes,etc etc. It's very easy to overload an 1/2 ton truck and not now it. I've had 2500lbs in the back of my GMC 1500 truck, it drove just fine, it just wasn't legal.

I agree...IF they were only recommendations then WHO pins the maximum amount allowed on the vehicles?

Most times forgotten are the items you listed especially food, fuel, clothes and gear...all this adds in in weight.