Sign in to follow this  

FWW on RMX??

After spending most of the morning slithering and sliding on wet muddy trails I am contemplating getting a FWW for my 98 RMX250 to try and keep with the 4t boys.

I know RMX's already have a heavier flywheel than RM's but has anyone put one on an RMX before.

I always have the rear brake adjuster backed right off as when set correctly it is very touchy and I stall all the time coming into corners, a FWW would help with this problem too wouldnt it?

I dont want to turn the thing into a tractor, I love the way the RMX pulls but I think I can afford to sacrifice some of its free revving goodness for a bit more control when the going gets tough. I was thinking 8 or 9 oz??

I have priced a Steahly FWW, nearly $200 AU!!! Is there much involved making one?? I'm a machinist so shouldnt be too hard if anyone has any specs or sizes.

Any thoughts or advice?

Before anyone says it, I know I just man up and ride the thing harder!!!!!!!!

I had a Steahly on my first RMX. I like the fact it helped tractor through things and still had plenty of rip in the upper RPMs, but it wasn't like night and day different - just a little bit. The biggest difference is the touchy rear brake was less so with it on, which was mostly why I put it on.

Eventually as I improved I took it off and sold it.

You could make your own - I do not know the weight of the Steahly though it is certainly adequate. If you do make your own, you may need to make a spacer for the cover as their's comes with one to clear the added width. You will also need to bend gear selector outboard and need a steel one for that as the stock aluminum one will get brittle and/or break easily. IMS, Moose and MSR make steel ones.