Sign in to follow this  

Rhino lining my engine covers?

Has anyone done this, and if so could you post pics? What are the advantages or disadvantages of applying Rhino Liner or similar products to my engine covers compared to powdercoating?

Good idea.would last much longer than powder coating.You could be the first.Maybe a little heavy but so what.Post a pic if you go that route.:thumbsup:

That's what I was thinking. I'm tired of my engine covers' powdercoat wearing away after like 3 rides, I'm looking into alternatives.

Kinda off topic but some wear info.

I used a product called Gorilla Grip, it's a bed liner coating like Rhino on my frame. I wanted something to protect from boot wear and also help with gripping the bike. The stuff wears just OK and wears off any hight spot after a couple rides but, it's an easy touch up. It'll say it'll wear pretty quick on the covers where the boot will rub.

grillygrip001.jpg

KX-250-1.jpg

Actually I like it a lot but the company I got it from was.........lets say not the best to deal with. :thumbsup:

Kinda off topic but some wear info.

I used a product called Gorilla Grip, it's a bed liner coating like Rhino on my frame. I wanted something to protect from boot wear and also help with gripping the bike. The stuff wears just OK and wears off any hight spot after a couple rides but, it's an easy touch up. It'll say it'll wear pretty quick on the covers where the boot will rub.

grillygrip001.jpg

KX-250-1.jpg

Actually I like it a lot but the company I got it from was.........lets say not the best to deal with. :thumbsup:

Does that feel 'rubbery' or hard plastic like?

Does that feel 'rubbery' or hard plastic like?

The Gorilla Grip has rubber particles in it that why I picked it to help grip the bike with my boots but, it drys hard as nails. The only place it wears is on the three high spots in the pic.

• Like 1

Looks good. I've gotta Rhino lining on the inside of my 67 Bronco tub, it seems like a good choice. I've seen where people have used different versions on different parts of their bike. I would be somewhat concerned about the weight, and heat dissipation qualities if used on the engine, but frame work is functional and looks good. Thanks for the pics :thumbsup:

I had Line-X coat the clutch cover on my 09 KX250F. It held up great! I should have done my 09 YZ450F as well. I went with a Boyesen cover and it showed wear on the first ride.

100_0598.jpg

100_0664.jpg

• Like 1

2005YZ250Completed007.jpg

2005YZ250Completed009.jpg

2005YZ250Completed010.jpg

Painted water pump cover, clutch coger, igintion cover, chain guide, and rear brake disk cover with rhino liner. Came out great, and seems like it will hold up very well. $30 for a quart size container at my local pep boys, and I have more than enough left over.

• Like 1

Rhino must be a lot tougher than the Gorilla Grip I used. Does the Rhino have....grippy (?) chunks in it for grip or is it hard surface?

For the "clean freaks" how is the clean up of the bed liner coatings...easy or does it require scrubbing since the surface isn't smooth?

I think the truck bed liner looks pretty good. Has anyone who has done this had any problems with it? If not I think this is the route I will go. Considering the fact that it is $30 for covers that will hardly ever wear compared to powder coating which is about the same price, maybe even more expensive, and would wear off easily.

The liner I used has a hard/rubbery texture with small rubber chunks in it. It seems like it will hold up very well. The clean up isnt too bad. All I did was gave everything a light sanding, and cleaned it up with some acetone. Then I got a small paintbrush and went to work. I applied 3 seperate coats on every piece, letting each coat dry for about 24 hours. I haven't gottena chance to put some good riding on it yet, but if it does start to wear through any time soon, I still have a nearly full container of the rhino liner stuff to do touch ups with.

If you take it to Line-X, they can do it smooth without the grippy bumps, and in different colors...They can through a few extra coats of clear on for wear also...

I didn't do my covers, but had my frame guards done, and it's been holding up great...

I personally wouldn't do it cause it's quite thick and would hold in more heat than the cover by itself.