rim lock... less

i just got a new tire for my z and was looking at the wheels and i have no rim locks. are these necessary? i have only had the bike for about two months and it is my first "dirt bike". Obviously the previous owner wasn't using any. I don't do any real off road riding if that helps. thanks guys.

also, on the way home from a ride the other day the wire hanger piece that holds the speedo cable to the fork leg came off. i have since ordered one but is it ok to just strap the cable to the fork leg until the piece comes in? sorry for all the dumb questions but i'm new to all this and eager to learn.

i ride some dirt but nothing really hard or super fast. thanks a lot for all the info.

I thought the same thing.... Then I had to get out of the woods with a flat cause I pinched my tube. Rim locks and heavy duty tubes a cheap insurance.

uh, I've gone nearly 20k miles without a rimlock with no problems what so ever. I also ride super aggressive off road and on and I think that I've had 3 flats. and my bike is heavy...

Also, just in case you're wondering, I run maxxis ITs at 13-ish psi, currently I am running a Dunlop K490 (I think) at 12psi.

uh, I've gone nearly 20k miles without a rimlock with no problems what so ever. I also ride super aggressive off road and on and I think that I've had 3 flats. and my bike is heavy...

Also, just in case you're wondering, I run maxxis ITs at 13-ish psi, currently I am running a Dunlop K490 (I think) at 12psi.

well you would be the only one ive ever heard of being able to get away with it. riding the rocky hilly in western australia no way ever would u get away without a flat almost every time riding agressive. ?

if u are only casually riding offroad i would say leave it for now, as you start doing more and more, harder and harder, faster and faster, you will know when its time for you to upgrade to a rim lock (a good indication would be when you are limping home on a dead flat tyre or changing a tube on the side of the trail), until then, just enjoy riding :ride:

i changed the tire yesterday and the oil today. i'm learning slowly but surely and having fun with it. i did notice that after about 60 miles the tires is showing some wear only on the back side of the knobbies, the side facing the rear of the bike. is this normal?

It depends on how much rocky trails you are doing, and what you run for psi. If you run 25 psi like me, it's not needed. I still run a back one anyway. If you do rocky trails, or run low psi (like 8 or 12) then you should run them. Just my .02 and my observations. A lot of people are die-hard fans of them, but they're not needed in a lot of applications, it depends on what you consider "offroading"

i changed the tire yesterday and the oil today. i'm learning slowly but surely and having fun with it. i did notice that after about 60 miles the tires is showing some wear only on the back side of the knobbies, the side facing the rear of the bike. is this normal?

yeah, its what happens with an agressive knobbie bouncing up and down while spinning round and round, it'll wear the back of the knob away for ever and ever, a balanced wheel helps (slightly) but its just what they do.