Sign in to follow this  

Go Pro Chest Mount and Leatt Brace?

Anyone using this combination?

Just purchased the GoPro HD and prefer the chest mount view over the helmet mount. I wear a Leatt brace and am afraid it may get in the way. Anyone have any experience with the two?

I don't have the cam yet, but I have been thinking about doing the chest mount instead of the helmet mount. Yeah, the latter might be a bit better perspective, but I ride technical trails solely, in heavy brushy forests, and I hate vids that have the sound of a branch hitting the camera. I suppose with editing I could turn down the sound at that point.

Fred, thanks for the different perspective - that is informative. I am 6'6" tall and much of my height is in my torso, so maybe a camera on my chest would give a better perspective - I will have to try when I get one.

Or you could mount it like i have mine , i had the same concerns about branches , this works great !

That would probably work. I think I have seen this done before, maybe it was yours. What was this mount?

img5678m.jpg

Or you could mount it like i have mine , i had the same concerns about branches , this works great !

img5681.th.jpgimg5680d.th.jpgimg5684h.th.jpg

Video of what the view looks like

http://www.vimeo.com/9489480

Could you tell me what materials you used and where you got them to make this. I had mine mounted on the front of mine because it was semi flat and it worked almost all day then fell off. I wanted a better surface to mount it too and find this is the best position!

thanks!

You could also try something like this, here is a copy of my original post:

The mount I have might not work for all helmets. The visor has to be adjustable, and has to lift high enough to keep the lower edge of the camera out of your line of view.

I bought a couple of extra visors for my helmet to experiment with (plus I break them crashing).

I reinforced the visor a bit to add strength. You may not need to do this if your visor is strong enough.

I cleaned and lightly sanded the underside with 120 grit paper to give the 15min epoxy something to stick to. I cut out a few small pieces of regular fiberglass cloth to match the inside contours of the helmet. I used paper cutouts as templates for the final shapes. Spread a thin layer of epoxy in the area to be covered, and lay the fiberglass cloth on top of it. Smooth it out and add a bit more epoxy if needed. Pay attention to the mounting screw areas and center mount, you can see I added a few layers in the middle for extra strength.

pic: IMG_6240.jpg

I found the best spot for the camera's mount on the underside of the visor and epoxied it in place. This mounting spot allows me to loosen the pivot screw and flip the camera housing forward and up high enough to remove the camera from its protective housing (without having to remove the entire thing to get the camera out). this mounting spot also keeps the camera's protective case sitting against the helmet shell when in use. I stuck a small piece of self adhesive felt on the front, center of the helmet shell where the camera case rests against it. This helps to prevent the clicking noises caused from them rubbing together. I drilled a small access hole in the side of the visor to get easy access to the pivot screw with a small screwdriver. I also added two small bolts to the camera's mount (not seen in these pics) to make sure it never falls off the visor- even if the epoxy fails.

I also trimmed the visor length by about 1.5 inches, this keeps most of the visor out of the shot during filming. You can just see it at the top edge of the picture in the 960p mode on the camera. 1080 and 720 modes (wide screen modes) do not show this at all, you only see what's in front of you.

A few more pics:

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6242.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg

***Here is what the view from this mount looks like (720p mode):

Could you tell me what materials you used and where you got them to make this. I had mine mounted on the front of mine because it was semi flat and it worked almost all day then fell off. I wanted a better surface to mount it too and find this is the best position!

thanks!

Yea ,and that other pic posted was my helmet (showing the mount) , all i did was go to Home Depot and get some 1/8" Lexan(do not get plexiglass make sure its Lexan)**i think it was a 10"x10" sheet , but i forgot what i paid for it , but it was cheap** and then a package of 10/24 cap nuts (.83c) , a package of #12 Bonded Sealing Washers (.76c) and a package of Stainless 10/24 x 1/2 Allen head(domed so it looks like the head of a Stove Bolt) ($1.10) , so under $5.00 for everything(the clear looking bumps you see in the pic that was posted to show the mount is actually a cut peice of Hot Glue Stick , i had on there for testing , but i used the cap nut for the finished project

i heated the Lexan with a Hair Dryer and bent it over the edge of the countertop , i took the faceplate off the helmet (Fly Venom2) and used the slots that were already there so i did not have to drill the helmet , so it can have the faceplate put back on if i ever want to

Just line up (once you bend the Lexan) the Lexan with the slots , then use a sharpie to make a pattern *make it larger than the slots , and how and where the holes are will depend on you helmet* , then i used tin snips to cut the Lexan to the necessary shape , drilled the holes i marked then i put the bolt pointing in and put the cap nuts on the inside **you have to pull back the inner part of the chin guard** , then tighten the nut/bolt and put your sticky mount on and your done

*tip*

I tried to make it so the camera top is visable when wearing the helmet just high enough that you can see the red light flashing thru the viewfinder so you know when your recording .

If your mechanically inclined you will figure it out , it took me about a hour from start to finish

and i used the banana mount for the camera

i'm a fan of woods riding but you're clay peak ride looks AWESOME!

great mount idea too by the way, i may try that out once i get my cam. thanks!

Yea ,and that other pic posted was my helmet (showing the mount) , all i did was go to Home Depot and get some 1/8" Lexan(do not get plexiglass make sure its Lexan)**i think it was a 10"x10" sheet , but i forgot what i paid for it , but it was cheap** and then a package of 10/24 cap nuts (.83c) , a package of #12 Bonded Sealing Washers (.76c) and a package of Stainless 10/24 x 1/2 Allen head(domed so it looks like the head of a Stove Bolt) ($1.10) , so under $5.00 for everything(the clear looking bumps you see in the pic that was posted to show the mount is actually a cut peice of Hot Glue Stick , i had on there for testing , but i used the cap nut for the finished project

i heated the Lexan with a Hair Dryer and bent it over the edge of the countertop , i took the faceplate off the helmet (Fly Venom2) and used the slots that were already there so i did not have to drill the helmet , so it can have the faceplate put back on if i ever want to

Just line up (once you bend the Lexan) the Lexan with the slots , then use a sharpie to make a pattern *make it larger than the slots , and how and where the holes are will depend on you helmet* , then i used tin snips to cut the Lexan to the necessary shape , drilled the holes i marked then i put the bolt pointing in and put the cap nuts on the inside **you have to pull back the inner part of the chin guard** , then tighten the nut/bolt and put your sticky mount on and your done

*tip*

I tried to make it so the camera top is visable when wearing the helmet just high enough that you can see the red light flashing thru the viewfinder so you know when your recording .

If your mechanically inclined you will figure it out , it took me about a hour from start to finish

and i used the banana mount for the camera

Heck yeah awesome man. Thanks. Im going to get on that asap. u said banana mount did you mean the j-hook?

That's how I mounted mine.

I cheated though and used stuff from the scrap bin at the shop. 20ga stainless steel, ground it to the exact size/shape of the GoPro mount, welded a coupla' very course thread wood screws to it, and bedded them in clear RTV sealant in the chin vent of my "secondary" helmet.

10 minutes to make, cost.. $0. Already had a tube of clear RTV laying around.:thumbsup:

I would be a little skiddish of the wood screws even though protected by the RTV , that is why i went to the cap nuts , to avoid the chance that IF in a crash my face went to the extreme front of my helmet , i would not have a sharp object embedded in my face or worse yet thru my teeth

Here are some updated pics of the mount(without the hot glue peice) also pics of the height of camera so you can see the record light but camera is not in your field of vision , you will note in first pic there are several holes till i got the height right ,also the little bumpers are so i dont have to worry about the angle of the camera every time i remove it , just put it on till it hits the bumpers and tighten it down

img5736g.jpg

img5738k.jpg

img5739m.jpg

img5740r.jpg