Sign in to follow this  

Its Alive

Well I got my z at 12k with a stretched chain. I put about 3k miles so far.

I tried to wheelie in first gear.. It was very inconsistent.

Tonight after work I slapped on a new rk chain and wow.. The front comes up easy and consistently in first gear.

I tried popping it up with my butt in the passenger seat with the bad chain and sometimes it comes up and sometimes it does not..

Now it comes up every time with my butt on the tank..:thumbsup::ride:

this is a stock bike, no mods.

just wanted to share..

I just bought a new chain, Rk Pro VMX, cost was $170 but I got a 50% coupon from the dealer so it was like $85, of coarse I did not have chain rivet tool so I had to buy one...aw well..my bike has 11K miles on it, 2001 S model, sprockets do not look worn yet, I like to think I don't need to replace them as long as they are not wavy from the loose chain, gonna bolt on the new chain tomorrow and let's hope I can get some wheelie action as well:thumbsup:

No I reused the oem sprockets.. they were still good.. On that note.. My front sprocket was barely clinging on. All that was holding it was the cruch washer behind the bolt.. I think that was what made the chain wear so bad.. Plus I am glad I changed it due to that.. what a safety hazzard.. LOCKTITE

, I like to think I don't need to replace them as long as they are not wavy from the loose chain, gonna bolt on the new chain tomorrow and let's hope I can get some wheelie action as well:thumbsup:

I just grinded down the old link with a dremal and popped it out with a screw driver while it was on the rear sprocket..

I just bought the master link clip. Suckes because the first tension clip I installed cracked in half.. I had to run to the shop 30 minutes before closing and buy 2 more just in case.. Maybe it was just that clip. Rivit tools cost 80-100 bucks.. I dont use it that often to justify spending.

if you didnt fit new sprockets along with the new chain dont expect the new chain to last too long :thumbsup:

i look at my sprockets and think that they look ok , only when i compare the old to the new that the wear in the old becomes obvious .