Sign in to follow this  

New truck

Today I bought a 2000 dodge dakota. The oil in there is dark and needs a change. I was wondering if I should put high mileage oil in it because it has 102000 miles on it. If so, what's the best kind. A conventional oil is in it now. Also the horn doesn't work. Where should I start on that?

Just do a normal oil change, i really don't believe in the high milage stuff, then break out a volt meter and see if yu have power at the horn, check if yuo have a fuse, check the relay.

Edited by terrasmak

Just do a normal oil change, i really don't believe in the high milage stuff, the break out a volt meter and see if yu have power at the horn, check if yuo have a fuse, check the relay.

+1, the high mileage oils are really nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

Besides, 102k isn't really "high mileage" anymore.

check to see if your airbag light is working upon startup. if the clock spring in the steering wheel goes out, you'll lose your airbag, horn, and something else....but I can't remember what.

Cruise control and stereo controls if you have that option up on the steering wheel.

Just do a regular oil change. If it's been using synthetic, stick with that, of not any dino oil will serve it's purpose.

For the horn, probably a relay. Get a Chilton's manual, it will have the wiring diagrams you need to troubleshoot it.