Sign in to follow this  

First race concerns

I have been riding for a year and I want to do some races this year. I plan on a couple hare scrambles the put the 17's on for some supermoto action. I have been to a couple supermoto races as a spectator but never to a hare scramble. Would it be wise of me to go watch one first to get some what of a clue to how they work? They are a 3 hour drive to get there. I kinda would hate to get there and regret not bringing my bike.

Secondly I am nervous about the starts and riding so close to other riders. My riding buddy and I just follow each other and rarely pass one another. I figure the hare scramble would get me a bit prepared for the supermoto races. Will it kinda come natural on how to act or react with other people around me?

Thanks,Kenney

motorcycle racing is a contact sport,but don't sweat it cuz you usually stand a better chance of having a collision by trying to avoid contact altogether

I would say go and race. It will come natural to you.

Driving 3 hours, just to watch, no way. If it was less than an hour, maybe.

I'm fat and old, and I did my first HS race last year. You will be nervous until the start, but it goes away quick once you are riding. Don't try to win, just slow down to go faster.

I agree with what has been said. Take your bike for sure or you will regret it. Once the flag drops, all the nervousness goes away and you realize you are just riding. It is great fun!

CAMM

Just did my first race the other weekend and didnt really get nervous at all...just told myself it's just a drag race and then a faster paced trail ride. I could tell everyone was nervous at the start because sitting there waiting for all the lines in front of us to go all the other guys where fidgeting with stuff and constantly looking down the line. I just sat there with my arms crossed on the bar pad staring straight ahead to keep the anxiety down. Come the flag drop stayed focused and grabbed the holeshot by a pretty good distance but ended up finishing 6th. Dont worry about it and just have fun.

I always thought any race is just a fast trail ride with fellow riders who are faster than you. That's the way it turned out. Just have fun.:thumbsup:

Just give it your best, don't care about what others think of you. I went 3 hours to watch a motocross race, it didn't bother me to not ride. I enjoy motocross whether its riding, watching, reading, or working on my bike.

You should be practicing passing UR buddy? The first corner and starting line will be hairy but you'll get over it ... Stay on the outside if possible ... Just pick a race and track ur are comfortable with...

Thanks guys! I am goning to "race" a HS in a couple weeks and I am really excited. Other than carbs and bananas the day before, is there anything else I should do to prepare?

Thanks guys! I am goning to "race" a HS in a couple weeks and I am really excited. Other than carbs and bananas the day before, is there anything else I should do to prepare?

clean air filter, fresh oil, double check all the fasteners you can think of. just make sure the bike is in good working order. dnf is a crappy way to start racing

If you have a couple of weeks, ride, ride, ride.

An hour a day if you can, 2-3 on weekends.

A HS is an endurance event as much as it is a speed event. If you can go 2 hours continuous at speed over difficult terrain you'll do well.