Sign in to follow this  

riding loose??

today i rode with a few people i don't normaly ride with, all race at a fairly high level (two are in expert offroad, ones a grade mx) and all of them commented on my riding style, saying they've never seen anyone ride so "loose", commenting mainly on how out of shape the bike seems to get without me eating s**t basicly, i don't race, and i could easily keep up with them until my fitness let me down, but it got me thinking about, is this a bad thing or what? lately i've had a few decent crashes which i'm starting to think are caused by this "loose" riding style, i never really feel in control of the bike when i ride, just along for the ride.

i'm riding an 09 KX250F with stock suspension, todays ride was mainly single track and flowing 3ed-4th gear ATV width tracks, i've never had any profesional rider training or anything so i dunno whats right or wrong, but my style has worked for me quite well in terms of speed so far.

Riding loose worked OK for Bob Hannah.

And a mate of mine on his old IT490. Probably cause if shit went wrong he had the strength to pull the bitch back into place. He could probably bench press a truck he was that bloody strong.

I know there are better and worse ways to ride but you have to do what makes you comfortable. How other people ride doesn't mean that's how you should ride.

And a mate of mine on his old IT490. Probably cause if shit went wrong he had the strength to pull the bitch back into place. He could probably bench press a truck he was that bloody strong.

i'm fairly fit, but far from strong, 65 kg soaking wet, when the bike gets outa shape i just hold the throttle open until it pull's itself back in line, i feel comfortable riding like that but i've had a few off's at high speed in the last month, the fell'a i was riding with said watching me ride was like watch justin barcia ride, only in the woods not mx.

i'm fairly fit, but far from strong, 65 kg soaking wet, when the bike gets outa shape i just hold the throttle open until it pull's itself back in line, i feel comfortable riding like that but i've had a few off's at high speed in the last month, the fell'a i was riding with said watching me ride was like watch justin barcia ride, only in the woods not mx.

I'd take that as a compliment. Unless you don't like your own style or you think you've got some "bad" habits I guess I wouldn't worry too much...just don't get hurt.

Maybe it's that you've got confidence in the ability of the bike to sort itself out and so you let it do its own thing without fighting it, and the other blokes don't have that kind of confidence and instead feel they've got to hold it together and hence are much less loose. Loose is good.

lately i've had a few decent crashes which i'm starting to think are caused by this "loose" riding style, i never really feel in control of the bike when i ride, just along for the ride.

I have a buddy that rides like this, He's fast, gets around and isnt afraid to try things, but by far crashes the most. I'd say about 15 times for every one of mine. I think there's a diff. between being along for the ride and loose. You should be LETTING the bike do its thing, not hanging on and hoping for the best.

nothing at all "wrong" with riding loose. I know many who do and some who don't. Your getoffs (and mine) probably happen when you are beyond your skill level for a brief instant and it catches you! BTW, do you know who Bob Hannah is?

nothing at all "wrong" with riding loose. I know many who do and some who don't. Your getoffs (and mine) probably happen when you are beyond your skill level for a brief instant and it catches you! BTW, do you know who Bob Hannah is?

Forgot not everybody is as old as me, pictures of Bob might have given him a looser rep' than was reality.

bob hannah was well before my time lol, anyone gto some good pics or videos i could have a look at?

Well the same has been said about me but they said I was entertaining to ride behind.:thumbsup:

I have a friend that rides sitting down for the most part and smooth. I just cant do it !

Some of the controlled mayhem or looseness is more than likely suspension and tracking due to the rear not following the front and the tire not getting hooked up to the ground.

Just speaking from my own experience after having my suspenders worked I am not as entertaining any more.

Sounds like your style is just dealing with what is going on under you and keeping it moving forward.

This is very easy to get used to. Nothing wrong with it !

Think about how fast you could be if you were not dealing with the entertainment section.

first thing I noticed after having my suspenders done is my brakes did not seam as strong as they were before :ride: