Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Purchasing an out of state bike?

I am considering purchasing a dirt bike from Indiana. How does the tax and title stuff work?

Do I have to go to a secretary of state in Indiana before I leave to transfer the title?

Or do I just go to the Michigan sec of state to make the switch?

Do I have have to pay double taxes?

I purchased my CRF in Ohio. All I did, and you should have to do too, is take the title and transfer form (signed from previous owner) to the SoS and you should be good. Not sure about taxes. I didn't pay any on mine and the SoS didn't charge me. However, I have heard others getting charged. I think it depends on luck and how knowledgeable the staff is.

Buy bike, bring home with title and proof of purchase. Take that to the SOS. They'll let you pay tax and get you a title. If the existing title indicates off-road-only, you'll need to follow form TR-54 procedure to get it plated (if that's something you plan to do).

Don't need to do anything with SOS in Indiana.

Thanks guy's. Its a used bike for my son I found on Craigs list. As long as I do not have to deal with Indiana s.o.s. then I am good to go.

I had the same worries when I purchased a bike from Ohio last year. I guess there you have to have the title sign over notarized (something notarized anyway). When the seller mentioned that I was worried, but a call to the Michigan SOS gave the same info everyone else has mentioned. Couldn't be easier!

just sold one to a guy in mich. make sure the transfer part is filled out

on the back of the title and they get it notorized. seller will need your info for this

address,name and selling price. then take old title to sos in your state and get new one in your name

just sold one to a guy in mich. make sure the transfer part is filled out

on the back of the title and they get it notorized. seller will need your info for this

address,name and selling price. then take old title to sos in your state and get new one in your name

does NOT need to be notarized to transfer title in Michigan... at least as recent as last fall it didn't.

I am considering purchasing a dirt bike from Indiana. How does the tax and title stuff work?

Do I have to go to a secretary of state in Indiana before I leave to transfer the title?

Or do I just go to the Michigan sec of state to make the switch?

Do I have have to pay double taxes?

You want to pay the tax to Michigan for what reason? Not necessary