Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

husaberg fe-570 vs aprilia rxv 550 vs husky te 510

hello all,

from what i see of the 2010 exotics ive noticed 3 bikes that in my eye stand out.

1-husaberg fe 570

2-husky te 510

3-aprilia rxv 550

in terms of what all of you have felt what have been your reliability,power handling ,weight ,experiences with these bikes?

if any of you have 2 or more of these bikes do you mind sharing any info that may be usefull like what to expect long term with them and what have been your long term experiences?

has any one had these bikes with over 10000 kms?

and how did it go for you?

thanks

I can tell you I like my Berg better in the dirt and the Aprilia better on the street. And its only because of the v twin seems to pull better on the long straights. But if I had to choose one it would be the Berg. As far as long term IDK as they both have low miles.

I have not ridden the Husky or the Aprilia, but this is my understanding of them:

The Aprilia is a very high spirited bike and can probably make as much power as a 650, but for that reason is a handful off-road. Probably an excellent SM bike, probably better in that role than the Berg or the Husky, except that the Berg might be better handling.

I considered the Husky 610 but because of the weight I then looked at the 510 and the Berg. The Berg was similar in size and maybe a little more power than the 510, but had better suspension components than the Husky. That, the handling of the new design and the very tractable power of the Berg were what convinced me to pay the extra bucks over the Husky.

So it depends on where you are going to ride and what you want. All three excellent bikes. The Husky 510 and the Husaberg are similar in weight and purpose. The Aprilia is quite a bit different in that it is heavier (280 v. 240 for the Berg) and has different power delivery (70 HP v 52 from the Berg).

The Aprilia might be more fun in the SM role if you love a lot of power, the Berg probably quicker handling (and you can probably get another 5 to 10 HP from the Berg with some slight tuning).

One person on a local forum wrote that his Aprilia was significantly tamed off-road with a Rekluse, but it was still not ideal.

Get a blue KTM.

I got to ride an Aprilia RXV today on the same trails I ride my Hussy on.

I was impressed by the Aprilia, not that I thought it was a better trail machine than mine - but that it was smooth, lighter than I thought (not as light as mine - I could tell the difference), but that I think it would make a brilliant SM bike and put out plenty of power for a snowbike conversion. This particular bike had a Rekluse. The owner and I both agree that this is what makes the bike manageable on any kind of non-trivial trail. I took it up a fairly simple hill short hill climb that I had done many times before on my Hussy (see link to video of my Hussy climbing it below).

http://vimeo.com/7387289

I was all over the place with the Aprilia. It just didn't seem to find the traction like my Hussy did - although that may have been partly due to the tires which the owner said he didn't like. But my tires are not optimum either and my bike seems to find traction everywhere. Just saying. I made it up the hill, but it wasn't near as easy as on my bike. Maybe with different gearing, better tires and maybe some way of mapping the power to be more mild for such riding, it would have been different. The owner said the Rekluse was the only thing that made the bike manageable on such trails, and it would take getting used to and some work, (he agreed), whereas people felt my bike with the Rekluse and gearing was (and I quote), a 'tractor' that worked very well on the trails. Which verified how I felt about it.

Not that said, I like the Aprilia, I am thinking it might be a nice replacement for my Ducati because it seemed almost as smooth, much lighter in all respects (than the Ducati) as it weighs 170 pounds less. (I would have to ride them back to back at 80+ MPH). The suspension is capable although I don't really ride fast so maybe a much better rider would have better feedback on that, just not as agile as my Hussy.

I'll have to try one in street trim to see if it could replace my MTS. It is certainly lighter and could double for trail/dirt riding as a dual sport - it just isn't as tractable or controllable as my bike on the technical stuff, but like I said it could do it - not like trying to muscle a KTM 950/990 or GS up the same trails. At 170 pounds lighter than those bikes it would be much more manageable, but still give them a run for the money in the twisties (I am guessing).

The bike seemed much more suited for open riding than for technical trails which I prefer.

Oh, and did I mention that the Aprilia is wicked sounding. Not quite as wicked as my Ducati with Supertunes, but at first I thought it was a Husky (hey, it was all red and stuff and looked kind of like a Husky), but then I heard it and had a suspicion that this was not a thumper.

The starting shutdown sequence was kind of quirky, involving both a key switch and a start stop switch and a starter button, but I suppose you would quickly get used to it. I had a problem getting it in gear at first, but then later had no problems.

I was just watching a vid about the SXV (the street version with slightly different suspension and a wider swingarm) and noticed that they mentioned the '07 version had a soft/hard mode to switch the mapping on the fly.

I think a FS570 would be better on short tight SM tracks, the SXV better on tracks where you could get above 60 to 80 MPH where its higher RPM power would leave the Hussy behind.

Of course, you can get more power from the Hussy - probably 5 to 10 HP without much trouble (comp mapping, maybe a few tweaks, and a better exhaust), but the bike has plenty of power for what I want to do with it - except maybe for the sand or snow, where the Aprilia would probably be better (except maybe for jumping).

Like I said, I would maybe want both bikes. If I think the on-road manners of an RXV with SM tires/wheels are near what my Ducati can do, then I may dump the Ducati and get the Aprilia. Ultimately, the Ducati can probably make more power, is better for two up riding, and the newer 4V Ducati MTS is even better (150HP, 150MPH), but I think I would like the lightness of the Aprilia for hooligan street riding better and maybe find something more comfortable than the new MTS for two up riding if I ever find a willing pillion that I want to take on rides (better yet, that she get her own bike).

I think with the aprilia there are two ways to set up the crank. one way has more power then the other... and if i remember correctly it comes from the factory in the softer setting

I forgot to mention, the Aprilia is even taller than my bike, and that was with a fairly thin custom seat.

Lot's of good info here on the RXV:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Personally, if I was to buy one, I would get the latest year possible. It seems like they had a lot of teething problems and they are still working some of them out.

Also, the early ones had an 8L tank, then later ones had a 12L tank. The latter can be retrofitted, but the old seat does not work well with the larger tank.

IMS makes a 20L tank, you lose the cool ability to have the tank hinge up to get to the air filter, etc.

The Husaberg now has three aux tanks you can buy to get a total of 30L capacity. The 8+L stock tank. A 4.4L subframe tank. A 7.5 to 8L front aux tank that wraps around the stock front tank and replaces the shrouds. A 10L rear saddle tank.

So if fuel range is an issue for your riding, take that into account.

Just cut the crap and get a KTM !! Done...:thumbsup:

why when you can get the berg?

• Like 1

I haven't ridden the new 570 Berg...I've got the last of the "old" configuration 550's. So between that, a new ("upside down") FE450 Berg, the Aprilia and Husky, I've tried all of them.

My impressions:

Performance:1) Aprilia: -it's fast...very fast, but the power is almost unusable off road. Virtually no flywheel effect to the motor. Wheelspin or wheelie...not much in between.

2) Husaberg: smooth power everywhere. 6 speed very wide ration transmission.

3) Husqvarna: also has smooth power (no hit anywhere) but probably the "tamest" of the three. Lack of a true wide ratio transmission has been a complaint of people.

Reliability: 1) Husqvarna: The thing is built like a tank. Probably lasts longer because of it's tamer power output.

2) Husaberg: the new "upside down" motor doesn't seem to have been problematic even in it's first year of production.

3) Aprilia: no first hand knowledge of new ones, the original models had some issues. Keep in mind when it comes to things like valve adjustments or new rings...everything on the Aprilia top end is going to cost you 2X. Around here I know parts are difficult to get.

Handling: 1) Husaberg: While I haven't ridden the 570 I have ridden a new 450. Feels like a 250. Very agile. Suspension will suit 90% of riders without much tinkering.

2) Husky: Nothing turns like a Husky. Very stable as well.

3) Aprilia: I found it "twitchy". Perhaps because with the berserko power delivery it was kind of hard to tell how it really handled.

Accessories: Want a bigger tank for long range? Some carrying capacity for a long dual sport trip? None of these have huge lists of available accessories, but you'll probably find them easiest for 1) Husky, 2) Husaberg, 3) Aprilia

In the end...what are you planning on using the bike for? A general "all around" bike that you can trail ride, take on the road and enter the odd race? Husky.

Mostly street, some wide open trails and "wow" factor: Aprilia

More off-road, more racing, less street: Husaberg.

I would agree, though I found the Aprilia to be very stable at any speed, more so than my Hussy. Where I had trouble controlling it because of the power was on the trail. Part of that may have been the tires, but certainly it didn't easily find traction like my Hussy does.

At speed on a slightly rough dirt/gravel road I found it stable, although I was careful with strange bike that I didn't own and had not ridden before, so I didn't try to take any of the bumps/etc. at the speed I would with my Hussy. The last thing I want to do is wipe out on someone else's $10K bike.

It didn't feel like it would turn like my bike - not as agile.

This is why I am thinking it would probably be better than the Husky or the Husaberg on the pavement - it wouldn't be as twitchy (although I have never ridden the Husky, it probably handles somewhat similar to the Husaberg although maybe not as agile).

Part of that may have been the tires, but certainly it didn't easily find traction like my Hussy does.

:thumbsup:...I've ridden three different RXV550's (all off-road.) Every one of them had a shredded, worn out rear knobby. What's that tell you?

all points are clearly understood.......

what i like on a bike is primarily a weight around the 250lb mark ,good handling,power,and a top speed in single track trails along with fire roads.

while i know at 150 lbs i need to almost always redo my suspension and add a steering damper so for me so thats a given.

i will use the bike about 2 times a year to go on off road trips with my friends.

:thumbsup:...I've ridden three different RXV550's (all off-road.) Every one of them had a shredded, worn out rear knobby. What's that tell you?

That they were used as intended.

The bike I rode new tires. I don't know what pressures were run, but they acted like the pressure was too high for the trails we were riding. It might be that they were just too stiff - maybe the owner got tired of wearing out tires so often.

My Hussy always found traction regardless of pressure, but it was better with a reasonable pressure on loose trails - I run about 8 PSI once I get to the trailhead.

all points are clearly understood.......

what i like on a bike is primarily a weight around the 250lb mark ,good handling,power,and a top speed in single track trails along with fire roads.

while i know at 150 lbs i need to almost always redo my suspension and add a steering damper so for me so thats a given.

i will use the bike about 2 times a year to go on off road trips with my friends.

I would say then that you narrowed it down to the Husky or the Husaberg. For me the Husky suspension seemed noticeable stiffer than the Husaberg, but that was just sitting on it. I think at your weight you would find the stock suspension of the Husaberg just fine with some initial breakin and then tuning. You shouldn't have to re-spring or revalve.

Edited by CodeMonkee

I've riden the Husky and have owned a 2008 RXV550 for 4k miles, they're both great bikes.

But I cannot state enough is that 90% of the RXV's are set with the wrong tuning, while most should have been derestricted, even derestricted the CO levels are off on 90% of the bikes, sorry, but true!

I have tuned mine with the TuneBoy system, tweeking it to make it right. With proper tuning they will trackle the nastiest hill climb, narrowest single track and blow away anything else in its class.....

They can be very trackable, giving lots of low RPM grunt, but takes tuning.

Onto the rear suspension, Aprilia installed rear springs that are great for a 125lb. rider, and dampening to match, change those two issues and they rail through the steepest rocky hillclimbs with total ease......

Common sense should tell most that soft suspension in the rear equals shredded tires, right? Trust me with 68+ RWHP it will!!!

Spending a day with proper knowledge of suspension and tuning DOES transform them into a very capable machine, YET they are a hotrod of dualsports, and with that comes more maintenance. They are not for everyone, of course....

Yet I have 4k trouble free miles on mine, oh yeah it did blow a fork seal after 50 miles, big deal.....

I loved the Husky, much more than the new KTM 450/530's

But for the true power junkie, 2008+ RXV550, tuned right, nothing comes close.....

Ride-on!!

went to my local dealer today and found out some interesting things.

-the husaberg is geared lower with a 52 rear sprocket

-the aprilia is geared higher with a 47 rear

-the hussy is 252bs and the aprilia is 267

-aprilia hp is about 70-72

- hussy is about 65

-i tried the hussy in a parking lot and it feels lighter that it is and turns well

-i will try the aprilia and know further soon

-the aprilia power starts to hit at about 6500rpm

-hussy everywhere its smooth and doesnt let up at all

-top speed is 185km pr hr for the aprilia on the street

-the hussy is at 165 on a fire road

-hussy needs damper for high speed

-aprilia not so much