New front tire MX51

Repack front wheel bearing

Repack stem bearing

New rear tire MX51

Repack rear wheel bearing

Repack linkage bearings

Repack swing arm bearing

Shovel some more damn snow

Assuming the wife and kids intervene or stall me. At least get it done by tomorrow. I will work on the suspension fluids another day.

Well it is hard to type after installing the tires. Smashed my thumb against the rotor and scalped some skin off my palm some how. Front was not too bad but the back was a bear. It was hard a hell even using all the tips posted. Then the air stem got at a little angle and would not come all the way through, pulled the tire half off, fixed it and reinstalled. Removed and cleaned the dust seals and the bearings looked/felt good so I re greased the outer edge and repacked the dust seal with clean grease and reinstalled. I put some pretty good scratches on my gold excels wheels.Wheel and tires are ready. Next up, steering bearings. It has got to be easy from hear as long as my swing arm comes off. How much to have tires installed? Do they use a machine that does not scratch? I am ordering one of the tube snakes!

Ok, steering stem done and front end back together, all torqued to spec and the new tire looks tough. The old one did not look bad but the new one looks sticky. The nut that tightens on the upper bearing below the upper clamp was very loose. My book says to torque it to 32lbs and then back it off 1/4 turn. This may explain some crazy head shake on high speed ski style jumps. I am embarrassed to say it was the first time I took it apart in 2 years and there was almost no grease in there.

I will call it a day and tackle the rear linkage and swing arm tomorrow.

Finished up the rear suspension this morning. I had a little strange knocking sound when I set if off a center stand. It discovered it was the linkage bearing closest to the front. It was bone dry and starting to rust. Again, I did not check this one when it was new. The linkage bearings looked good, a little dry and in need of a clean an repack. OK, bike back together and all greased up and torqued.

What I learned. If I can find a shop that is reasonable priced on tire installs, I may do it. I can change them but if the price is right and it saves some scratches on the rim, all the better. I will buy one of the stupid tire snakes for my tool box. There is some dude in Japan who works on a grease commission. They less they use, the more he gets paid, and he gets paid well. These bikes are easy to work on with the right tools and socket sizes. You don't realize how bad your tire is until you mount a new one.

Now if the snow would clear out. I am out of projects and ready to ride.