Sign in to follow this  

fork diagnosis

Hey guys...i could do some more thread searching, but I'm at work and thought I'd see if you guys had some quick advice for a newb. I'm gonna get home this evening and try to do some detective work. I have a 03 YZ 250f

How do you diagnose bad fork seals? Is it simply fork oil leaking down the stanchions or can oil leaks be a myriad of other internal problems with the fork. I don't notice horrible rebound or compression problems with the fork, but I have started to notice oil up and down the forks...that wasn't there last week. I don't mind going to my local dealer and having them fix it, as I'm no suspension expert, but if I can rememedy it myself I might as well learn something new. Turning wrenches on an engine is no problem, but tearing apart a fork would be a new thing for me.

It's really a simple process. You can do it yourself no problem. Only tool you really need to do the rebuild is a fork seal driver which is about $40.

Here are some how to vids:

You will want to replace the seals along with the bushings. The seals go because the bushings are worn resulting in an increase in flex wearing out the seals.