Sign in to follow this  

Engine problem.

A buddy of mine just called me and said he was having a problem with a TRX250R. He just got thru rebuilding the engine and had the head shaved and cylinder ported. He said it runs very strong, but it keeps burning up the spark plugs. At first you would think that he is running too much oil, but he said it would run all day just put-putting around, but as soon as he gets on it hard, the plug "burns up"? This is a fairly experienced guy around two-strokes, so it has me wondering myself what it could be.

Jetting possibly. It doesn't matter how much oil you run as long as you are jetted accordingly. The put-putting around probably loads it up up a little too much, so by the time he gets on it, the plug is about toast.

Well, I talked to him last night, and he said that he fixed it by putting another washer under the plug. Never heard of it, but thats what he said. Don't really see how that would have helped. Anyway, I was trying to help him figure it out.

puting another washer under the plug is more prone to the problem, its going to foul faster, aparently