Sign in to follow this  

Sm-S wheel question

So i received my S wheels the other day, and they looked to be in great shape, still have the original death wings on them with 70% tread left however anyways I'm looking them over and what do I see.......One of the two speedo drive tabs is broken off.......... (after some choice words) now I paid market value for these so Im slightly annoyed. However will it still work with just 1 tab? what are my options? these are going to be a strictly dirt tire, The only time I will be on the road will be to go to the trails with this set speedo isn't overly important I just thought it would be nice. However what can be done? with one of the tabs broke off?

I'm not sure how well the speedo spacer and the wheel will fit together without the tab. I would worry about that the most. They sell aftermarket spacers/speedo cancelers if you go this next route...

With two sets of wheels you honestly would probably want to go for an aftermarket computer like the vapor. I have to sets of wheels and am very glad that I have my vapor.

The speedo will probably still work, but unless you also purchased the S speedo drive it won't be accurate. What you may want to do is install an aftermarket computer that's programmable for different sized wheels and tires. The Trail Tech Vapor does this, as well as many others. I myself run an Acewell 1600.

It will still work but it will be way off. The SM and S speedo drives are different in their gearing to deal with the wheel size difference.

Your best bet is like what others have said and go with a Vapor or Acewell 1600:thumbsup:

I have the Vapor and it's really easy to switch from SM to S wheel sizes...just have to remember to write down the measurements :thumbsup:

Thanks guys........as long as it won't affect the riding at all I don't care about if the speedo is wrong or not............ like I said this is my off road/trail set only, I only want the speedo to work correctly when I have my 17s on! thanks

Order a seal and spacer for the non-speedo side of the wheel and install it on the speedo side. Use that for the dirt set-up if you aren't worried about the speedo.