yx 160 reliable

I just bought a pit bike off my buddy Its the klx style. I bought a yx160 motor for it put it in sounds great revs so much faster and harder then the piece of crap lifan 140 that was in it. Does anybody know any of the down falls to this motor.

I hate snow!!!!

the cases are weak, made of lower quality aluminum, be sure it is the 160 with the needle bearing on the idler gear shaft.

some where great some where total crap,

my brother has one that runs great and has been good to him, i had 3 out of that same batch of motors that i broke on cases.

the first thing you need to do is get rid of the kick back with a decomp and a good ignition . like the daytona style ones that come on pitsters 155z

those are the things we have done to my brothers to have it live this long.

• TT Sponsor

well the current version of the yx160 with 15mm kicker shaft has been very strong , 0 failures for a 100+ unit batch we are selling since oct 09

But also i will say the zs155cc has been VERY good too in its revised form

great results for quite some time with these too

seems someone over in asia if finally hearing us

How do I find out if it is the 15mm shaft and the needle bearings, also Im having a hard time with the carb I put a 28mm mikuni on it and Im hoping that its enough. What carbs are you guys running.

You can measure the diameter of the kick starter shaft easy enough with a micrometer to verify if it is 15mm, but unfortunately that does not guarantee that you have one of the upgraded center cases even if yours is 15mm. I have an ’09 Motovert with the YX160 engine in it and my KS shaft is 15mm. I recently cracked my center case as a result of kick-back, and when I took it apart I had the older style case with a roller bearing (not needle) on the transmission output shaft. The only way to tell is to remove the clutch cover, clutch assembly, and some of the gears to see the end of the tranny input shaft. I wouldn’t recommend going to that much trouble just to see if it is a new one or not, unless you are just looking for something to do on a rainy day.

Vince at TBolt helped me out and I now have it back together and running strong. I put a real Mikuni VM26 carb on it and it does not like to start without feeding it a little bit of throttle, which is NOT a good way to start these engines. As Vince mentioned, holding the throttle open while kicking these engines is a great way to get them to kick back hard, which is how the cases get cracked. Maybe the Z155 style ignition set up is the solution to this, I don’t know. I am still playing with carb tuning, but I am not convinced that the carb is the problem.

See the link below for more info and pictures:

http://planetminis.com/f21/yx160-cracked-center-case-145211.html