motorcycle lift's

hey,

i am looking for a different way to work on my bikes. (instead of a 5 gal bucket!!!) I really want a good motorcycle lift, but don't want to pay the price! so i was wonder what the TT users use? I drew up some plans based on a picture i found on google. simple but will it be enought? I will be lifting a number of bikes from a xr-70 to a cr-500 and a lot in between!

btw i don't need to lift a street bike!

here is a picture i found of some ones home maid lift!

lift.jpg

dan ?

Edited by Farmerjd
added words
  • Like 1

True it looks a liitle top heavy with the bike on it, but if you look, the wheels are just bolted on the bottom, you could easily mount it to a wider base, if worried...Also they come with little hooks to secure your pegs to the stand, so the bike can't slide off...And of course I wouldn't put a street bike on it, but for up to a cr500 it would be perfect...I don't like ones that have a platform all around the bike, because then you're still forced to stand away from the bike, and lean in towards it...Plus it'd be hard to make your own for $60.

True it looks a liitle top heavy with the bike on it, but if you look, the wheels are just bolted on the bottom, you could easily mount it to a wider base, if worried...Also they come with little hooks to secure your pegs to the stand, so the bike can't slide off...And of course I wouldn't put a street bike on it, but for up to a cr500 it would be perfect...I don't like ones that have a platform all around the bike, because then you're still forced to stand away from the bike, and lean in towards it...Plus it'd be hard to make your own for $60.

Goose do you own one of these stands, and if so, how stable is it when working on the bike?

That one from ebay looks dangerous. Pretty tall for that small base. IMO. I like it though to save the back from bending over.

ya, i did a google search and i seen a small jack like that holding a harley!

i don't think i would trust a $20k+ bike on a $60 lift!

• Like 1

hey,

i am looking for a different way to work on my bikes. (instead of a 5 gal bucket!!!) I really want a good motorcycle lift, but don't want to pay the price! so i was wonder what the TT users use? I drew up some plans based on a picture i found on google. simple but will it be enought? I will be lifting a number of bikes from a xr-70 to a cr-500 and a lot in between!

btw i don't need to lift a street bike!

here is a picture i found of some ones home maid lift!

lift.jpg

dan ?

I built one of these years ago, I used heavier materials than the plans called for and built it long enough to build choppers on, so it weighs a ton, it is more than enough bike lift for any dirt bike, I could probably lift the wifes small suv with it. It also doubles as the welding bench.

Here's the way to go (only $60):

Ebay link

That's the style that i use,but i think mine is of better quality?Or so the web-site says...

http://www.teamhawgracing.com/catalog/index.php

Mine has little tabs at the bottom to stable it.It works good even on my 300 lbs XR650R. As long as you don't remove more than a wheel it's ok.But if you remove the forks or shock all ya do is put a crate or stand under the other wheel and lower the bike until it touches.

DSCN5972.jpg

Has anyone tried the scissor lift (like the ebay one that was posted) from harbor freight?

I saw it on their web site but not in the store. The web link did not have a price either, if you happen to know that.

Alot of folks recommend the sears type lift, I have a few like it with wheels and they are nice. Although they will not lift near as high as the others. I have lifted my harleys with these.

Here's the way to go (only $60):

Ebay link

I agree. I have pretty much the exact same one.

paid 150$ for it from princess auto, I LOVE IT. 300 LB limit.

only complaint, which is very insignificant, is if you dont use the gold bar to stop it from lowering, it will slowly sag all the way down. not a big deal, just throw the gold bar in the bottom, and lower it so it takes the weight off the jack

funny thing is you can get the same stand, without wheels, for 250$ from the stealership!! ?

Has anyone tried the scissor lift (like the ebay one that was posted) from harbor freight?

I saw it on their web site but not in the store. The web link did not have a price either, if you happen to know that.

I have one of the scissor lifts from Harbor Freight... I picked it up for $79 on sale and I thought I was the CHIT!!! I was all excited and was telling my Dad about my Smokin' deal... he thought it was too... so he went to go buy one 2 days later... turns out they were discontinued... he tracked one down at another HF location for $59 on clearance... so much for my great deal.?

But on a serious note..... the scissor lift is the single best tool i have for working on my bikes hands down... no more bending over, achey breaky back and on my knees... it may not look really sturdy in a picture but in reality the base is quite a bit bigger than a regular moto stand. You would really have to try pretty hard to knock your bike over... not that it could never happen but you'd have to be pretty careless. Being able to sit on my stool and pull the carb off my bike for a jet change then swivel around to my workbench is just cool IMHO.... those big table lifts might be kinda handy but useless when you need to remove a wheel, or adjust your chain, not to mention they are huge, heavy and take up an awful lot of space in the garage... If you can get your hands on a scissor lift... you won't regret it.

The lift says 300# is the max... and my big Girl of the house is definitely pushing the envelope there....

0215002351.jpg

The CRF is a few pounds lighter.....

1011092100.jpg