Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Never got a true reading on the oil dipstick.

So, I'm about 150 miles away from my usual 1k miles oil change interval. I decided to change oil as part of bike prep for tomorrow's track day.

Anyhow, since the last time someone posted about "proper oil dipstick reading(?)," it's got me worried about the amount of oil in my bike. The bike has 15.5k miles on it now, and she seems to run just as strong as before. Now oil leaks to speak of.

Ever since I got my bike "new," I never had the "oil dipstick" read properly. I just put in the pre-measured amount of oil in at every oil change, and the same amount of oil seems to come out every time.

Anyway, I wasn't going to change the oil last night, and wait 'til after track day tomorrow to do so. I decided to check the oil last night, so I warmed up the bike & rode the bike around the block. I pulled back in the garage, and waited 1-3 minutes before checking the oil several times. "There was very little - no oil registered on the dipstick!":foul: I panicked a little and decided to go ahead & do an oil change.

"The same amount of oil seemed to come out!"

What gives?!!! Should I just not worry about the oil dipstick readings?:thumbsup:

I still have the old oil and will measure the "exact" amount that came out for sure.

hey smrookie try this add in the new oil and follow the same procedure what do you see on the stick more less or the same

+ 1 on eddies advice I just check it when I get home so I know its good for the next ride

your best bet is to check after you have been riding.liek when you stop for fuel.

Will do.:thumbsup:

Also, will measuring the oil that came out determine if it's burning oil?:ride:

What is another way to check besides removing the top-end?:lol:

So, I'm about 150 miles away from my usual 1k miles oil change interval. I decided to change oil as part of bike prep for tomorrow's track day.

Anyhow, since the last time someone posted about "proper oil dipstick reading(?)," it's got me worried about the amount of oil in my bike. The bike has 15.5k miles on it now, and she seems to run just as strong as before. Now oil leaks to speak of.

Ever since I got my bike "new," I never had the "oil dipstick" read properly. I just put in the pre-measured amount of oil in at every oil change, and the same amount of oil seems to come out every time.

Anyway, I wasn't going to change the oil last night, and wait 'til after track day tomorrow to do so. I decided to check the oil last night, so I warmed up the bike & rode the bike around the block. I pulled back in the garage, and waited 1-3 minutes before checking the oil several times. "There was very little - no oil registered on the dipstick!":foul: I panicked a little and decided to go ahead & do an oil change.

"The same amount of oil seemed to come out!"

What gives?!!! Should I just not worry about the oil dipstick readings?:ride:

I still have the old oil and will measure the "exact" amount that came out for sure.

From cold run for 3 mins , turn off , leave for 3 mins , check oil :thumbsup:

Update:

Just measured old oil.

Looks like it's down about 225-250 mL, or - 29 oz. :thumbsup:

Not sure how much was leaking out, and how much is burning. I will take a close inspection in a little bit.

thats pretty significant in less than 1000 miles.

i would not call it alarming just yet,but its definately using oil.

Is that common for a bike with 15.5k road miles? What's your recommended procedure? New rings soon?:thumbsup: