Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Carpal Tunnel Surgury Scheduled. Anyone with good results?

I have been having numbness and pain issues in my hands for years. I work with my hand, but its mostly when I work my hand extra hard, or ride. I have tryed braces and working lighter with my hands and have got pretty good day to day releif, but not a chance on the trail. Riding is my life and I need total relief. My hands now go completely dead numb almost instantly when I ride aggressive. This is greatly effecting my riding and racing. So I have decided to get the surgury on both hands after my doctor suggested it. We did do the electro test to confirm carpal tunnel. I do ride a 300 that vibs alot, but i'm sure the problem is more than that.

My surgury is on 3-3-10 and i'm getting a bit nervous about if this is going to help or make it worse.

If you have had, or know someone that has had good results with surgury, that has had total numbness issues like I do. I would like to here the confidence building, positive feed back. Also if you have had bad experience that info would also be helpful.

Any and all feed back about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I had one hand done and it's turned out well. The only problem is your hand is tender to push against for a long time. Like pushing yourself up out of a pool or on a hand rail.

I'm glad I did it. Now I can't even tell It was ever done.

Get a good doc, my incision was only 1/2 long. I've seen others with an inch long or more.

Here is a really good article by someone I know that went throught the surgery etc. I have attached a link to the site but if it does not work go to ktmworld.com then click on "News". It's a 3 part article and very informative. You may have to copy and paste:

http://ktmworld.com/news_articles/ARM%20PUMP%20OR%20CARPAL%20TUNNEL%20SYNDROME/default.asp

http://ktmworld.com/news_articles/ARM%20PUMP%20OR%20CARPAL%20TUNNEL%20SYNDROME/default.asp

He's a little bit about incision size......the number one reason for failed carpal tunnel surgery is incomplete release. The smaller the incision, the higher the chances what you are doing, you're doing blindly. Skin heals from side to side, not end to end....I'll take the one inch incision and a complete release.....

Just my opinion......aj

Beyond that there is no limit of bad, and sometimes catastrophic results with the endoscopic CTRs which have yielded many inadvertant lacerations of the exact nerve that is supposed to be decompressed.

A prinicple of surgery is never put the tip of the knife where you can't see it.

I have done over 4000 of these, with excellent or good results in way over 95%

And this isn't just my opinion. It is the reccommedation of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery.

If I had a knee to be repaired, having done some research I'd go see Dr Mark or head over to Indy for a doc their.

I simply found what I feel was the best doc in my area. He only does surgery on hands and wrists. I had what I'd call great results. Just passing on the info.

Just like a mechanic, you can great or poor docs and everything in between.

Well, its been 5 days since I had my left hand done. Its still pretty dam sore. My doctor didn't say much about how to rehab it. Anyone have advice on the best way to heal and rehab. How long should I leave in brace without movement? When should I start exercise motions ETC. Dr Mark any input? Thanks Joe

You need to do whatever your doctor tells you to do.

I tell my patients to ditch the dressing the morning after the surgery and start using the hand as if nothing happened. This way a patient does his own therapy.

If you wipe you butt with that hand, wash it with soap and water afterward.

So, your saying its not going to harm the healing process to start moving it. Maybe its actually good for it?

Again, you need to listen to your doctor!

I am just telling you how I do it.

• Like 1

Well today is Day #10 since I had my surgury on my left hand. It was a 1" incision. My hand is getting better alot faster than I expected. I went back to work on day 7 part time wearing a brace. I am a sheet metal fabricator, So two hands are manditory. At day 10 I can use my hand now for most function, except heavy lifting, pulling, pushing Etc. Its still really sore if I try to push it, but at this rate I think I will probaly be good enough to ride in 3 weeks. I won't really know how much it has helped with my numbness issues untill I ride again, but at this point things are feeling pretty good. I will update this post after my firt ride.

Hope things are going well for you. I had it done on both hands about 3 years ago and was please with the results. I put it off for a long time(too long) and at the end, I couldn't ride agressive for more than a couple minutes and thumb index and middle finger would go numb and then all of them. Got to the point that driving a car in the morning or holding a fork at dinner would produce light tingling...

I went trail riding 8 weeks after the surgery and had no numbness at all. To this day I still have no numbness when riding. I was wrapped in an ace bandage and gauze covering the incision for about 9 days, after that he told me to just take it easy with it. 8 weeks and I rode, it was still a bit sore, but I wanted to test out the numbness part and if ok, schedule my second hand.

I do get pain in my fingers after a hard ride or towards the end of a long day. I think it's because I spent so long with numb fingers and letting go that I have lost actual muscle in my fingers. I remedied some of it by putting in a rekluse so I'm not pulling on the clutch lever all day long.

But anyway good luck with it. Getting the surgery was great for me.

Nick

I had the surgery on the 9th of March. So far so good, I was typing 3 days after having it done. I am self employed computer nerd, so I had to start working again, I just took my time and did not rest my wrist on the keyboard.

I had the bandage on for five days, then off it came, had the stitches taken out on the 22, and I really want to ride, but the doc said wait two more weeks before riding. I will get on a bicycle on the 2nd week, just to make sure I am good to go, and get into a little better shape, then on week 3 start with some light track riding in out local pit and take it from there.

Update on my progress for those considering the operation.

It is now March 31st, and I had the operation on March 9th.

After looking at other peoples scars and doing searches on the internet, I find that my surgeon did not make a very large cut, maybe 1.5". Not sure if this means anything, but I would think that I have less healing to do than others. My FIL had at least a 3" cut for his??

My range of motion is almost 100% with a little tightness at the last little bit of the stretch, when I bring my hand all the way back. Figure I should be back to normal in a week or so.

So a month of healing and I figure I am good to go. It is a long weekend here so I plan to ride very lightly with the kids. I plan to hit the bicycle hard starting Tuesday of next week and get back to riding the MotoCicle full time on the second weekend of April.

I have absolutely no numbness in the hand at all. I would highly recommend this operation to anyone, if you have exhausted the other options.

I had both my hands done a little over 5 years ago. My right turned out better than the left. All though there is a definite loss of dexterity and strength more so on the left again the benefit of losing the numbness and lack of sleep far out weighed the loss.

However I have numbness in my left again the pinky and the next tow digits. There is a certain spot on the wrist if i touch it just the right way ,it will shoot a very weird numb sharp pain into the middle of my hand.

As well I am not sure if this is the correct name for it but the thenar muscle ( the bulge below the thumb) Mine is full of scar tissue and large with a very hard bump of scar tissue close to the wrist at the middle of the hand.

Riding I go numb very quickly in that hand now and with being on crutches my hands a fatigued and ache. I am assuming because of the scar tissue caused by the release.

But a hell of a lot less pain and sleepless nights. But I think I have an elbow issue now too! :thumbsup: its a later rather then sooner fix.