How about blue threadlocker on rear sprocket bolts?

I have an 03 RM 250.

The torque spec for the rear sprocket bolts is pretty high, and I almost rounded one off trying to remove it with an open end wrench. Ended up having to use a 3/8" breaker bar - which was fun in between the spokes.

My idea is to use blue threadlocker when I put the new rear sprocket on, and torque the nuts snug/tight - I doubt I'll be able to get a torque wrench on them to get them spec'd, but I can get some good squeeze on there with a 6 pt socket.

Anyone else do this?

Also put the treadlock on the counter sunk part of the sprocket/screw and it will make a big difference.

Does that help to keep the screw from turning when you go to remove the nut later?

I can't ever remember having one of these nuts back itself off... wow.

I've had a couple sprocket bolts come out years ago. Once it ruined my swingarm.

Got the tip to locktite the counter sunk part from some video long ago.

I've never had one back out since.

Havent really noticed if it helps with removal. I always use a hammer and smack the wrench to pop them lose. When I tighten I do the same. Tap it with a hammer. I'm a carpenter and am pretty accurate with the amount of tapping force used.

If the threads are clean, blue should be fine. Snug 'em down good, and put it on your list of things to check. You can use red, but you will need to heat the parts to break them loose. I just don't see a need for red if you are will to check on occasion.

I always use blue on the threads and tighten the nut by hand then snug it down with a few whacks with a rubber mallet using a good six point wrench. I have NEVER had a sprocket bolt come loose. "Knock on wood!"

I always use blue on the threads and tighten the nut by hand then snug it down with a few whacks with a rubber mallet using a good six point wrench. I have NEVER had a sprocket bolt come loose. "Knock on wood!"

Tomorrow you'll be posting a pic of chewed up swingarm! ?