Sign in to follow this  

amsoil?

hey im running yamalube in my yz250f and im thinking about switching to amsoil synthetic. does anyone here use amsoil i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with it or anything or if theres a better oil to use thanks for any info :thumbsup:

I use Amsoil in everything I own; motorcycles, chainsaws, auto's, everything. I believe it is an excellent oil.

I used to use Amsoil in my 250f and my sons 250f. I wore out 2 clutches in my 250f in about 1 year, one of the senior technicians at the local shop is convinced it is because of the Amsoil so I switched to Rotella in my bike but I have continued to use Amsoil in my sons bike. I have been using the Rotella about 6 months with no clutch problems but I have also tried not to abuse the clutch, so I really don't know if the oil is making a difference. But I have not noticed any difference in performance. I should probably switch to Rotella on my sons bike since it is about 1/3 the cost.

Oil questions on forums are like asking which truck is better Chevy or Ford, you get lots of opinions but no real proof. and researching oil is also difficult because every thing you find is printed by an oil company explaining why their particular oil is the best

I actually have some concrete evidence with Amsoil; in one of my street bikes my mpg increased 1 to 1.5 mpg. I check my mileage every time I fill up.

Another is with 2-strokes; a friends bike got an extremely small pinhole in the hose on the water pump and eventually lost all the water while riding. The motor got so hot the piston crown melted to the rings and lost compression and stopped running. Most motors would have seized but the Amsoil continued to lubricate even under the extreme temperature. I will never say Amsoil is the BEST, but I have had excellent results.

I have been using the Rotella about 6 months with no clutch problems but I have also tried not to abuse the clutch, so I really don't know if the oil is making a difference. But I have not noticed any difference in performance. I should probably switch to Rotella on my sons bike since it is about 1/3 the cost.

oil is oil:bonk:

you cant go wrong w/rotella or delo! i use it in everything i have! usually on sale for $10 gallon at auto stores!:thumbsup:

scott

I used to use Amsoil in my 250f and my sons 250f. I wore out 2 clutches in my 250f in about 1 year, one of the senior technicians at the local shop is convinced it is because of the Amsoil so I switched to Rotella in my bike but I have continued to use Amsoil in my sons bike. I have been using the Rotella about 6 months with no clutch problems but I have also tried not to abuse the clutch, so I really don't know if the oil is making a difference. But I have not noticed any difference in performance. I should probably switch to Rotella on my sons bike since it is about 1/3 the cost.

Oil questions on forums are like asking which truck is better Chevy or Ford, you get lots of opinions but no real proof. and researching oil is also difficult because every thing you find is printed by an oil company explaining why their particular oil is the best

witch amsoil were you using??

amsoil is a great oil.. i have used it in bikes,street bikes,car,truck and hade top notch results.. i have been using the high zinc amsoil 20/50 in my 250f and it has been great.. quieter running,great clutch feel,smother shifting.. i say try it.

amsoil is some good stuff...i have an 06 250f and race mx..she hasnt seen anything but amsoil and she still runs great!!

I have been using the Rotella about 6 months with no clutch problems but I have also tried not to abuse the clutch, so I really don't know if the oil is making a difference. But I have not noticed any difference in performance. I should probably switch to Rotella on my sons bike since it is about 1/3 the cost.

oil is oil:bonk:

you cant go wrong w/rotella or delo! i use it in everything i have! usually on sale for $10 gallon at auto stores!:thumbsup:

scott

Exactly! Thank you. I run the cheapest oil I can find and just change it every 3 rides along with the oil filter. As long as the oil is designed for a 4-stroke engine with a wet clutch you wont have any problems with a regular oil change schedule. :ride:

I asked my local shop the same question. They said that synthetic on a frsh motor was a bad idea. The rings may not seat. Good advertisement for synthetic I'd say.