Sign in to follow this  

Stripped Rotor Plug nut

:ride:

I tried to pull the rotor nut plug out in an attempt to do a valve check. The plug was tight and I ended up rounding out the F***ing hole. It's obvious I have to remove the side cover now to access and remove the ruined plug.

2 questions.

1. Will I need a new gasket for the alternator side cover? I am assuming I will.

2. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement rotor nut plug for a reasonable price? Already checked ebay...TT clasifieds next.

I am assuming that there was some dried mud in the threads that froze them solid. The bike was washed and I used copious amounts od WD40 before I tried to loosen it. I have had it off before as well.

The lesson here is. Be gentle with your nuts...:thumbsup:

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Garrett

Try a chisel to remove the nut. Somebody has suggested that before and it worked for him. I think Zeta makes that plug/nut. Wheeling should be able to help you.

I have ordered the yoshi-plug ,has a nut instead of an allen hole..

Could be as bad as the oem and zeta , but as I've allready stripped 2 oem's and one zeta , it's yoshi's turn out now...

Perfect. Thanks guys.

Having done more thinking about the whole debacle, I wonder if some spark plug anti seize is a good ideer for the plugs. Aluminum does corode, I am assuming thats what happened to me with dirt and road grime in there mixed with swamp water. Once I get the plug out I'll be using some of that on the parts.

Garrett

Garrett,

First, get your drill out and make a small dimple near the outer edge of the plug. Then get a drift or chisel, insert it into the dimple and knock the plug loose.

This is common as they tend to get over tightened. Put some fresh oil on the threads and O-ring and don't over tighten.

Don't ask me how I know this...:thumbsup::lol:

Garrett,

First, get your drill out and make a small dimple near the outer edge of the plug. Then get a drift or chisel, insert it into the dimple and knock the plug loose.

This is common as they tend to get over tightened. Put some fresh oil on the threads and O-ring and don't over tighten.

Don't ask me how I know this...:ride::lol:

Thanks for te tip Brian

I'll order the new plug and give it a try. Incidentally I did get the valve check done. Just pulled the spark plug and sloooowly turned the drive nut with a flex handle with the bike in one of the high gears. Valves are good...:thumbsup:

Now, on to the rear wheel bearings, reassembly, then patiently wait for the snow to go away, so I can get into the hills.

Garrett