Sign in to follow this  

Build Pics of the 1973 Honda MT250 Project.

Here are update pictures of the progress of my 1973 Honda MT250 project. So far, so good. I am waiting for my gas tank to "de-rust." Using electrolysis to remove the small amount of rust in the tank. Then I will be repainting the tank silver to match the fenders. I plan to paint the orange stripe, but it will depend how the masking job goes for the correct shape. The bike has a Bassani pipe and the cylinder, head and carb are all from a CR250. New Wiseco piston and bore was also performed. .

Before:

colorado2010051.jpg

Current:

colorado2010060.jpg

colorado2010061.jpg

colorado2010064.jpg

colorado2010065.jpg

colorado2010066.jpg

Awwwww dude......now you've done it.

I've been looking for an MT250, now I want one even more.

Cool project.

Keep a post on the progress.

The bike's looking good! That's a strong front brake, and the carb is cool too - I used it on my CR125M for many years (it will surely work better on your bike). Nice rims!

What ignition are you going to use?

Ray

The bike's looking good! That's a strong front brake, and the carb is cool too - I used it on my CR125M for many years (it will surely work better on your bike). Nice rims!

What ignition are you going to use?

Ray

Ray,

I am using the MT ignition. Someone ahead of me removed all the lighting plugs and extras but the coil that was on the bike was not from an MT? It looked as if someone spliced in the lead plug wire as the bottom of the coil was epoxied to hold in the lead wire. I put the correct MT250 coil on and the bike has a nice blue spark. I never thought about switching to the CR CDI. Would a CR stator and flywheel direct mount to the crank on the MT?? Someone posted earlier that with the heavier MT flywheel, the bike will actually run better. Once I finish the tank and can get some gas to the beast we will see if it actually runs. But, I have a spark and it was surprisingly easy to put the wiring together.

looks pretty good i am starting this same project

Sanny632,

I notice you also live in Indiana, what part? Post up some pics of the MT250 you are building. I would like to see hows yours is going. Are you keeping yours original and street legal?

Keith Wavehog33@att.net

Would a CR stator and flywheel direct mount to the crank on the MT??

I can't really say for sure about the rotors. The early CR250 (and 125) use rotor bolts, later ones - and the MT250 - use nuts on the threaded crankshaft end. All the CR125M rotors/stators are interchangeable and fit all the 125 and 175 cranks/cases, it may be the same for the 250's.

CR250M-MT250IgnitionStators.jpg

Based on these photos, I would say the stators look close enough to warrant grabbing a cheap one off eBay and trying it out for size (or contacting a seller for mounting-hole spacing measurements). If you want a definitive answer, though, I would call these folks:

http://www.pentonracingproducts.com/pvl.htm

Looking back, I should have bought one of these PVL's from the start, instead of spending nearly the same amount of money on several complete eBay CR ignitions.

with the heavier MT flywheel, the bike will actually run better

It will certainly run different; "better" is a matter of taste. If you want the motor to rev lightning-quick - which is what I like - the tiny CR rotor is the way to go.

Ray

Here are a couple more pics from today. Weather was nice so I rolled it outside into the sun to breathe...ha ha.

colorado2010053.jpg

colorado2010051-1.jpg