Sign in to follow this  

1983 Yamaha YZ80 pics, my Son's first restore project.

Here is the latest beater I dragged home. My 14 year old son will be restoring/rebuilding the bike with a little help from me. Paid $100.00 for the bike and the guy had the factory service manual, which helps a bunch!

colorado2010059.jpg

colorado2010053.jpg

colorado2010054.jpg

colorado2010057.jpg

Yeah, hopefully there will be some after pics. I know I need a new used cylinder as the one I have has a cracked sleeve, and the rear shock is wasted with rust on the shock shaft. I would think a rebuilt, nice but in no way restored to oem, bike like this would only sell for around $700-800. So the cost to rebuild may too much. Just not much market for a mini post vintage racer.

sweet. the first yz i ever drove was a buddys, just like that, except here in Canada it was white and red. when the "energy induction" kicked in and the rpms shot up it blew my mind. your son will have a blast on that thing. good luck and have fun building it.

Any progress so far, I was wondering about parts availability.

I think this build is DOA. Too much to repair or replace. Needs another cylinder or re-sleeved, which would be around $250.00. Rear shock is trashed, so a decent used one is $50.00. Crank needs complete rebuild, $150.00, piston $100.00........you get the idea. I think this build will run around $700-$800, could easily be more. I would bet that a great condition, not restored with OEM, 1983 YZ80 would only sell for $700-$800?? I just dont think there would be much call as not really a market to race it?? Any Dad buying a kids bike could easily buy a much newer and nicer bike for a small bit more. So, my son will be cleaning and repainting, like if he was going to build, but he will then sell the parts on Ebay. :thumbsup:

rebuild it....honda sl70's are back at $6k...honda z50's ive seen at $5k...there is a 4 speed honda ct70 here locally for ask at $2400...the only problems with yamas is parts availability...my shop will do a motor rebuild for $200 if i find the parts..search around a little more it may be worth sticking some money into..plus your kid may learn something....

why not restore and ride dont worry about the resale ive found that if your son puts his hard work and sweet into the bike he is more likely to take much better care of the bike then just something that is bought and handed to him. and it would be a great experance for you and him. to do togther i garantee it will be something he will remember for years to come.

why not restore and ride dont worry about the resale ive found that if your son puts his hard work and sweet into the bike he is more likely to take much better care of the bike then just something that is bought and handed to him. and it would be a great experance for you and him. to do togther i garantee it will be something he will remember for years to come.

I pretty much agree with this, most bikes I have restored I'm sure I have put more into them then I will be able to ever get out oft them. From my experience most of the newer used race bikes will need some kind of work as well(usually at least a top end). Personally I think if you go over the planned budget a little that's life. Also if you do the things this bike needs, your son will really get to see some really interesting stuff, a lot more then just repainting!

Just my thoughts, good luck!

I agree that it would be a great project, but I would rather bail on this one and have him rebuild something that is more "collectible" when finished. Kind of like restoring a Ford Pinto, just as much work as a Mustang but not worth anything when done. :thumbsup: I hope to sell everything off then take that money and buy a better starter. Some bikes have a "Do not revive" tag on them, I think this is one of them. :ride:

Edited by Wavehog33