Sign in to follow this  

Searched, but I want to be safe with my valves.

My valves are:

EX: 0.013 0.013

IN: 0.007 0.008

These are brand new rhc exhaust valves and 10 hr rhc intakes. I just reassembled the bike.

I don't have the shims right now, would it be ok to run the bike to set up the jetting with the valves this loose? I have dino oil in it and will be changing it after about twenty km. Would it be ok to run this loose for 20kms?

My only other shims make them

EX .009 0.009

IN .0025 0.0025

which is too tight on the intake but ok on the exhaust, although I think the exhaust will tighten a bit right away as it wears through a bit of the carbon on the valve seat from the old valve.

Thanks

Thank you,

I decided to make the extra effort and went and got some more shims so I could do it right. I don't like leaving things half done. And the local shop sells shims for only .99 each!

Now they are:

EX: 0.011 0.011

IN: 0.007 0.007

Thanks again, I will check them again when I change the oil.

, although I think the exhaust will tighten a bit right away as it wears through a bit of the carbon on the valve seat from the old valve.

Thanks

So, you haven't cut the seats when you installed your new valves???????????

Eddie did when he installed them, but then I set the timing wrong and the ex valves hit the piston, so I had to get new ex valves. I have not done a compression or leakdown test to ensure that the valve seats are fine, but Eddie thought that they were probably ok, so I went with it. They did not hit the piston very much, and the head and piston do not show damage, so I just replaced the valves.