Sign in to follow this  

What truck for Snow Plow?

Im looking to get into the plow business for myself. been a driver for about 5 years. out of those five years ive driven an old chevy and a 2000 F150.

Any of you plow guys have a recommendation on a truck. Im not an F150 fan for some reason.

Should i get a diesel? Whats the difference between Diesel and Gas in this application? Id also use the truck to haul my bike around but thats besides the point. Really looking for some feedback...

thanks

go south young man, get yourself a older 3/4 ton chevy with a automatic transmission,with no rust. 400 turbo would be best, pre 90'ish i think. it will cost half as much as a 4L80e to rebuild if nessessary. get a 350 for best fuel economy, stay away from diesels if you dont want to spend a fortune on repairs. i would be looking to spend around 4-5000 for a good truck. then look for a used plow to hang on her.

i cannot understand people who hang plows on 30-50,000 dollar trucks. plowing snow is hard on a truck mostly due to the corrosives on the roadways. transmissions also get hard use,you should probably add a external cooler.

thanks for the response chris.

which chevys are 3/4 ton? Pre 90? lol u mean like a 1985 Truck?

Any full sized truck will do the job.

F150's have the lowest bottom end torque for doing work around tight streets and parking lots.

A solid front axle is best for plow trucks.

For GM, that's 1987-earlier.

Ford F150/250, 1979-earlier.

F350, 86-up used Dana 60's I believe.

Dodge used a solid axle in their 1/2tons to 2001 I think, but not sure. 3/4 tons to 2002? Not sure on the dodges.

Im looking to get into the plow business for myself. been a driver for about 5 years. out of those five years ive driven an old chevy and a 2000 F150.

Any of you plow guys have a recommendation on a truck. Im not an F150 fan for some reason.

Should i get a diesel? Whats the difference between Diesel and Gas in this application? Id also use the truck to haul my bike around but thats besides the point. Really looking for some feedback...

thanks

No 1/2 tons. It has to be a 3/4, but a 1 ton is the best. Most trucks will have a snow plow option, ie a heavier frame etc. Snow plowing will beat up your rig is its not equipped to do so. It even beat up those equipped. A 1/2 would be short lived.

thanks

First, what kind of service do you plan on providing? Small, part timer thing scraping out a few driveways on the side, or making a real living out of it with commercial customers like banks, gas stations, shopping malls, etc?

I really wouldn't waste my time with any rig that is less than a 3/4T, preferably a one ton with the plow prep package (heavier springs, dual batteries, trans cooler, high output alternator). Especially if you're going to use this rig to do some serious plowing....half tons just come apart after a season or two.

Gas or diesel, it's up to you, they both have their advantages for this application-while the gasser may be a bit harder on fuel, there isn't the concern about poor fuel quality (gelling) and difficult cold starts.

Any full sized truck will do the job.

F150's have the lowest bottom end torque for doing work around tight streets and parking lots.

Nope, there's a reason why many manufacturer's won't warranty a half ton with a plow on it. They're not built to handle them.

A good strong setup is a F350 solid front axle, they make a great plow rig. Not cheap, but strong.

I'd go 1 ton. Any make really. I'd honestly go with a diesel since you are basically idling the whole time, you won't burn much fuel.

My preference is a Chevy Blazer, mine is an '88 which is 1/2 ton with a solid axle up front. However I swapped in a full floating 14 bolt rear axle so its 8lug like a 3/4 ton and 4" lift so the front leaf springs support the plow with no problem.

plowing is much harder on any truck so be prepared to replace things sooner, the lift or 35" tires doesn't help with wear and tear, but i wouldn't change it either.

It's got a 350 and 700r4 trans with a heavy duty cooler, and short wheel base which i really appreciate in tight places. I've been told it plows really well compared to pickups but I have little experience with other plow trucks.

the plow is an old Fisher with mechanical pump and controls, this plow sat for about 7 years while i used a Myers that had problems every year. i put the fisher on my present truck 5 years ago, and had few problems since

I'm happy with this set up, but i know this may not work for everyone this is just my experience.

plowing is much harder on any truck so be prepared to replace things sooner, the lift or 35" tires doesn't help with wear and tear, but i wouldn't change it either.

What advantages do the lift and big tires give you when plowing?

id be doing commercial locations. i wouldnt really waste my time with house driveways. everyone around here has a snow blower etc. currently i do a babys r us and a toys r us parking lot with a meyer 8 ft on a an f150 with a crappy salter on the hitch.

I really like those F250's but im curious if u could put one of those big salt and sand spreaders that go completely into the bed...

ive been looking all over ebay and i couldnt find one single truck with a prep package for a plow aside from one silverado and ford that snow plow package was just a bigger alternator...

Get a 1 ton with a straight front axel. If you are going to use it for any towing, get a Diesel with a turbo. Ford's with the 7.3 are solid trucks. Dodges with the Cummins have a good motor but the transmissions don't hold up as well.

What advantages do the lift and big tires give you when plowing?

I think they are both disadvantages. Big offroad tires have a tendency to "float" in the snow and I have found that a smaller tire works much better, but that is just my personal opinion.